°•♡•° / 16

—— Seori

A week had slipped by without a sight or word from Jungwon, leaving me in a state of confusion. It felt like he was deliberately avoiding me, and the uncertainty gnawed at my thoughts. School proceeded like any other day, but the absence of Jungwon's presence lingered, casting a shadow over our playful interactions.

One Friday afternoon, after classes, I found myself with Yeji inside a bustling bubble tea shop. Amidst the lively chatter and the sweet aroma of tea, Yeji leaned in and whispered, "Hey, Seori, there's a street race tonight. Jake told me about it. If you want to see Jungwon, you should go there."

My heart quickened at the mention of Jungwon's name, a mix of anticipation and nervousness washing over me. "Why would he be there? He hasn't been around all week," I admitted, voicing the unease that had been building within me.

Yeji offered a reassuring smile, "Maybe he's just been busy, Seori. Street races are his thing, right? Jake said he's participating tonight. It could be a chance to see him and figure things out."

The idea sparked a glimmer of hope, and I nodded, contemplating whether to go. "You think so? What if he's been avoiding me?"

Yeji shrugged, "There's only one way to find out. If you want answers, you might as well go and see for yourself. Trust me, Seori, you don't want to let doubts linger."

Taking a deep breath, I made up my mind. "Alright, let's go to the street race. I need to clear things up with Jungwon."

As we left the bubble tea shop, the anticipation hung in the air. The night promised not only the thrill of the street race but the possibility of unraveling the mystery that had kept me on edge.

The familiar ambiance of the street race venue greeted me as Yeji and I approached the hut. Upon entering, we found only Sunghoon inside. I inquired about Jungwon, and Sunghoon mentioned he had seen him near the cars. With a nod, Yeji generously decided to stay in the hut, allowing me to confront Jungwon alone.

As I stepped outside, the array of cars surrounded me, their sleek bodies casting shadows in the dimming light. My short stature made navigating through the maze of vehicles a challenge, but determination guided me toward the spot where Jungwon was engaged in conversation with unfamiliar racers.

Finally spotting him leaning on his car, I hesitated before approaching. His intense dark eyes met mine, revealing the rugged charm that defined his bad boy racer persona. Gathering courage, I spoke up, "Jungwon, we need to talk."

He straightened up, the cool demeanor hinting at the urgency of the impending race. "I don't have time now. The race starts soon," he replied, pushing me gently towards the hut. "Go back there."

A surge of frustration and emotion swelled within me, and tears welled up unexpectedly. I pleaded, "Jungwon, don't avoid me. Please, just a few minutes."

His stern expression softened for a moment, but he insisted, "I can't right now. Go back to the hut."

Desperation fueled my voice as I cried out, "Why are you avoiding me? We need to talk about what happened, Jungwon."

He paused, a conflicted look crossing his face, but then he turned away, taking a step forward. That's when I couldn't hold back the tears any longer, and my sobs echoed through the quiet space. "Don't walk away from me, Jungwon. Please, I need to understand."

The sound of my sobbing halted him mid-step. Slowly, he turned around to face me, his features softened.

Tears blurred my vision as I desperately tried to wipe them away, questioning why Jungwon's avoidance had affected me so deeply. We were just friends, right? The ache in my chest seemed disproportionate to our connection, and the confusion only intensified my emotional turmoil.

Amidst the darkness and the distant hum of engines, I sensed Jungwon's presence drawing nearer. A shiver ran down my spine as he wrapped his arms around me in an unexpected embrace. His touch brought a comforting warmth, contrasting the cold evening air, and for a moment, the world seemed to still.

"I don't want you crying," he murmured, his voice softer than I had ever heard. The sincerity in his words echoed through the space between us.

"Why are you avoiding me, Jungwon?" I asked, my voice muffled by the mix of sobs and emotions. "I don't understand."

His grip on me tightened, as if shielding me from the uncertainties that loomed around us. "Seori, it's complicated. I've been trying to figure things out."

I looked up at him, my tear-streaked eyes meeting his dark gaze. "Figure what out?"

His expression softened, revealing a vulnerability that mirrored my own. "This... whatever it is between us. It's not just friendship, Seori. I've been avoiding you because I'm scared of what it might become."

Confusion and surprise danced in my eyes as I absorbed his words. The revelation hung in the air, an unspoken acknowledgment of the tangled emotions that had woven their way between us. The racing engines and the imminent competition faded into the background, leaving only the quiet exchange of unspoken truths.

As Jungwon continued to hold me, the weight of uncertainty lifted, replaced by the tentative understanding that emotions, regardless of their label, had a way of defying logic.

As Jungwon held me, the cold leather of his racing gear pressed against my tear-stained face. I struggled to regain control over my emotions, mumbling amidst the fragile quiet, "How can there be something more between us when you've always seen me as a 16-year-old kid with no romantic interest?"

Jungwon sighed, his grip on me easing slightly as he spoke, "Seori, after that night you stayed over, you asked if I really believed you don't see me in that way. I've been trying to figure out my own feelings since then."

I looked up at him, my eyes still clouded with uncertainty. "But you've always treated me like a little sister, Jungwon. How can things change now?"

He gazed at me with a sincerity that cut through the confusion, "Maybe I was wrong. Maybe I've been trying to deny something that's been there all along. But Seori, what about you? Do you have any feelings for me?"

I hesitated, my gaze dropping to the ground. "I don't know, Jungwon. I've never really thought about it, never allowed myself to. I never showed it because... I never understood it."

He tilted my chin up gently, forcing me to meet his gaze. "It's okay not to have all the answers, Seori. We can figure this out together. I never imagined this either, but sometimes feelings are complicated, and we can't control when or how they develop."

A soft breeze swept through the racing venue, carrying with it the weight of unspoken emotions. In that moment, as Jungwon and I stood amidst the swirling chaos of the street race, the true race had just begun—an exploration of emotions, a journey into the unknown, where the finish line remained elusive, and the twists and turns of the heart were yet to be navigated.

To be continued...