63: Goblets and Glances

Edoras, 3019 TA, March 5

In the aftermath of the Battle of Helm's Deep, there lingered a profound sense of unity and camaraderie among those who had fought side by side. The experience of standing together, of sharing the burden of battle, had created an ineffable bond among the warriors. It was a reminder of their shared humanity, a brief respite from the solitude that often accompanies individual existence. In the act of fighting together, they had felt a kinship, a oneness that transcended the fear and chaos of war.

The people of Rohan, having endured the terror of the night, now found solace in survival. With hurried steps and hearts filled with relief, they sought out their families and homes. There was a scramble of activity as they began the process of healing and rebuilding. The men of Rohan, along with King Théoden and the members of the company, were part of this flurry, each contributing in their own way to the restoration of order and peace.

A collective desire to cleanse themselves of the night's grim events prevailed. They sought to wash away the grime and bloodstains, a symbolic act of shedding the horrors they had endured. Rest, too, was essential—a deep, restorative sleep that would allow them to recover from the physical and emotional toll of the battle.

In the aftermath of the fierce battle at Helm's Deep, Haldir of Lothlórien, though gravely wounded, was tended to with great care. His injuries, while serious, were not beyond healing, and soon he was able to journey back to Lothlórien with the surviving members of his Elven company. Lothlórien itself had been facing assaults, and as the Marchwarden, his presence there was urgently needed. Before his departure, Haldir sought out Xena. He took a moment to express his gratitude for her bravery and companionship. Reminding her of the welcome she always had in Lothlórien, he embraced her in a heartfelt farewell, a gesture that spoke of the respect and bond they had formed. With this, he embarked on his return to the Golden Wood.

This exchange did not go unnoticed by Legolas, who observed the interaction with a hint of annoyance, though he chose not to comment. A turmoil of unfamiliar thoughts and feelings stirred within him, his heart increasingly preoccupied with Xena and her well-being.

Following Haldir's departure, Xena had an opportunity to speak with Gandalf. She was visibly relieved to find the wizard alive and well. Gandalf confirmed that he had renewed the spells to contain her curse and advised caution in her interactions with Legolas, expressing uncertainty about the duration of the spell's effectiveness.

The company's next destination was Edoras, the seat of King Théoden of Rohan. There, they would celebrate their hard-won victory at Helm's Deep. In the Golden Halls of Edoras, amidst the revelry and toasts to the fallen, Théoden, with the Cup of Kings in hand, addressed his people. Éowyn, his niece, stood by his side as he honored the heroes who had bravely defended the gates of Helm's Deep and, in doing so, saved their realm.

The hall was alive with the sound of celebration, the clinking of cups, and tales of valor. Everyone, from Aragorn to the humblest of Rohirrim, joined in commemorating the defeat of Saruman's forces. Amidst this joyous atmosphere, there lingered a sense of solemn remembrance for those lost in the battle, a reminder of the high cost of their victory and the challenges that still lay ahead in the fight against the darkness that threatened Middle-earth.

As the sun dipped below the horizon, casting its final glow over the landscape, Xena found herself assigned to a spacious chamber in Edoras. To her surprise, she discovered a hidden room behind a large curtain that revealed a private bathing area. This natural haven, complete with warm, inviting water, seemed almost out of place amidst the recent turmoil and bloodshed.

Submerging herself in the bath, Xena felt the warm water soothing her tired muscles and washing away the grime of battle. The fragrance of the bath provided a much-needed respite, allowing her to breathe deeply and find a moment of peace. She lingered in the water, her mind replaying the events of the past few days.