Chapter 7

3 Days Into The NYFW Trip -

"You're being ridiculous Iris!" I shout, chasing after her as she rushed out of the dinner my company scheduled for me to attend. It's a dinner for all journalist covering NYFW to attend, including designers, photographers, and models. Basically just a way for us to network and get the inside scoop.

"Me! Being ridiculous!? For wanting to spend some quality time with you!?" Iris turns in her place to face me, slamming her purse down by her side like a child that's having a tantrum. I walk a little closer to her, still keeping a distance between us. "I told you this was a work trip," my tone more calm. Iris crosses her arms and rolls her eyes. "You're not even paying me any attention in there." "Are you kidding me!? Iris this is a networking dinner. This isn't just all fun and games. I'm here to work! You knew this before inviting yourself along with me." She gasps and arches her eyebrow in response. "Invited myself?" "Yes, invited yourself. I didn't ask you to come along. You practically gave me no choice but to let you come with me."

Iris and I have caught the attention of all the nearby pedestrians with our loud argument. To say I am embarrassed is an understatement. "Like I said before, I just wanted to spend some quality time with you. I didn't know that was a crime." "And like I said, this wasn't the week for that." Iris sighs, looking away. "Let's just go back to the hotel. I don't feel like giving everyone free entertainment, let alone arguing." "No." "No?" "No," I sternly and stand my ground. "I'm staying at the dinner. I'm going back in there and networking." "What the hell Riley! You're going to choose talking to those strangers instead of hanging out with me?" I stare at her in disbelief as she blatantly disregards the fact that this dinner is not necessarily a fun dinner for me, but more of a way for me to climb up the journalism ladder. "Go back to the hotel. Wait up for me or don't. I honestly don't care right now." I turn around and walk back to the restaurant that's only 50 feet away from me. I hear Iris gasp just before she shouts "asshole." I hear her heels start clacking against the concert assuming she's going back to the hotel.

"Oh my god." I mumble under my breath and close my eyes, as I lean up against the brick wall of the front of the restaurant before going back inside. I need to decompress first.

"Cigarette?" I look up and see tall dark haired woman holding out a cigarette towards me. "I don't smoke, but maybe I'll start now," I shrug and let out a sigh as I take the cigarette from the woman's hand. I hold the end of the cigarette in between my lips as she flicks her lighter on and lights the cigarette for me. I suck in, then let the smoke flow out my mouth. "Thanks," I nod.

"Sooo, that was rough out there." The woman leans her back up against the brick wall beside me. Do I have some sign on me that tells people just to invite themselves into my business!? First Iris invites herself on my work trip, now this.

"Ha...yeah. At least everyone around us got a show." I take another puff. "Was that your mom?" The woman asks in curious tone. My face falls into the palm of my hand in disbelief, embarrassment, and annoyance.

I lift my head up and look at the woman, "nope." She smiles with a small chuckle. "Hey I'm just playing with ya," she bumps me with her shoulder. "You two are totally a situationship. It's obvious." "Obvious? How?" "Well to me it is. Any lesbian could pinpoint that as a classic situationship." I let out a small laugh and break the eye contact. "Well," I take a puff, "it's probably over. I don't think I want to continue it anymore. It's not like it'll go anywhere anyways."

"How come?" The woman innocently asks. I look back over to her without saying anything at first. "Sorry, I don't mean to pry," she stands more straight and looks down as if she's embarrassed for intruding. "It's fine...but she's married. And I'm also not willing to sacrifice my job for her." "Oh yeah, what do you do?" "Journalism. I'm here for New York fashion week and she's upset I'm trying to network with all the other people attending this dinner we have tonight."

The woman smirks. "Classic middle aged married woman who's bored with her husband- well, I'd assume husband." "You assumed right." I take another puff.

"Besides, she's just been a distraction for me anyways. I moved across the country on my own. She's one of the first women to give me attention so I just went with it." I admit for the first time out loud. The woman laughs in response. "Well-" the woman eyes me, making it obvious she's asking for my name. "Riley." "Well, Riley. I'm gonna get going, but maybe I'll see you around," the woman gives me a smile just before starting to walk off. "Oh," she turns back around, "and my names Jillian. The assistant director of New York fashion week. I'll be on the look out for at tomorrow nights after party," Jillian winks at me. My mouth falls slightly open in disbelief as I watch Jillian walk away.

***
I walk into the hotel room seeing that Iris has all the lights off. I try to be as quiet as I can, trying to find my way to the bathroom so that I can change into some pajamas and get into bed. I'm wore out and honestly just need a good nights sleep.

"Shit" I murmur as I trip over Iris' high heel that's laying in the middle of the bathroom doorway. I turn the light on and quickly but quietly shut the bathroom door. I start taking my make up off, brushing my teeth, then put my comfy pajamas on just before getting in bed.

I quietly make my way to the bed and feel Iris' body lying in the bed.

"Riley?" I hear her quietly say my name. I close my eyes in annoyance that she's going to attempt to start the argument again. "I really just want to sleep right now," I reply with a tired voice. It's an excuse not to have to deal with her right now but also the truth to an extent because I am tired and have been ready to go to sleep for the past hour. "I'm sorry," she says in a faint voice. "Thank," I bluntly reply, not attempting to continue the conversation.

________________________________
Just a quick chapter...but who do you think is in the wrong here? Iris or Riley?
Also, sorry for any spelling errors.