Prologue: Dreams

Monsters used to be a myth. A scary story people would tell their kids to keep them away from Mt. Ebott. That changed 5 years ago, when Frisk fell into the mountain and subsequently freed all of the monsters a few weeks later. Frisk became the ambassador to monsters, and they all moved into the surrounding towns, with the majority living in Ebott city.

Frisk is my best friend, which has led to some interesting situations considering her status. Turns out, not everyone is giddy at the idea of living alongside monsters, and Frisk catches a lot of flak for it.

Life has certainly been interesting with monsters around. For example, pretty much every monster has some form of magic. Some Humans have even developed SOUL magic, a form of magic specific to humans and their SOUL traits.

Most people have already found out their soul traits, or at least have guesses at them. I haven't a clue as to what mine is.

Speaking of me, my name is (Y/n). I'm 17, and I attend Ebott City High School. Both humans and monsters attend the school, and some monsters even teach there, such as Undyne and Papyrus, the PE teachers.

Anyway, I should probably head to bed now. It's late, and I've got to get my sleep schedule in order for the next school year coming up next week.

*

An intense feeling of loneliness overwhelms me as I sit up, observing my surroundings. I was back underground, a place I had been many times in my dreams, despite never actually having been there. This was clearly a dream, as I was not in my own bed. I was sitting up on the floor of someplace underground. I was in the same dream that I've been having for the past week now, ever since my parents left for their business trip.

It was different this time, though. Where there used to be beautiful golden flowers were now wilted grey ones, fading into dust. Everything felt darker than normal, and despite the intense loneliness I felt, I could feel someone watching me. I tried to look for the person, but they were nowhere in sight. The last thing I heard before I woke up was a laugh.

*

The next day, I decided to finally ask Frisk about it. It looked like it was in the Underground, so that must mean something, right?

Frisk and Sans met me at the park, which was a midway point between Frisk and I's houses, although I could never figure out how Sans would get there so fast.

"So what did you need (Y/n)?" Frisk asks as after a little bit of small talk. "Well, I've been having these weird dreams. It was of someplace underground, a bed of golden flowers in the middle of what looked like a cave. I was curious if you knew anything about it? Maybe it's linked to the Underground?" I ask, not really expecting an answer.

Frisk and Sans glance at each other, the latter's unwavering bony grin twitching ever so slightly. "I'm sure it's nothing. Dreams don't always have hidden meanings." Frisk says, getting a little defensive.

"I dunno... What sparked me to ask was that this last dream was different. The flowers were wilting, and I had an overwhelming feeling of loneliness." I respond. Frisk was acting weird. She normally didn't get this defensive about me questioning things related to the underground.

"look kid, like frisk said, i'm sure it's nothing to worry about. the dreams will probably stop soon." Sans chimes in. Frisk checks her watch. "Ah, shoot, the time. Sorry (Y/n), I've got some ambassador business to take care of before the school year starts. See you around." Frisk says, starting to walk with Sans away.

That was certainly unlike them. If Frisk had something to do, then I doubt she would have agreed to meet me so soon before whatever it is she has to do. Sans was also off. He didn't make any puns. He always makes puns.

Maybe they left something in the Underground? Something magical that's able to call out to people in their dreams? Well, there's only one way to find out.

Some time later, I decided to investigate Mt. Ebott. The barrier was resealed after the monsters left, so I can't just go in the easy way. I packed myself a bag full of the essentials, a flashlight, a rope to get down the hole that Frisk fell into, a few chocolate bars, and two bottles of water. And with those, I set off to Mt. Ebott.

By the time I arrived, it was dark, so I had to use the flashlight to see. There was a massive warning sign over the entrance to the initial cave with the hole, but I just walked past it.

Inside the cave was nothing special, just a normal looking cave. With the exception of the giant hole in the middle and the vines growing out of it. I begin to look around to see if I can find a place to tie off the rope.

Just as I move carefully around the hole, I hear a quiet girly giggle from behind me, but as I turn to investigate, my foot catches one of the vines.

And so I fell.

Straight into the Underground.

I would be fine, right? Frisk survived.

Frisk also had Toriel, who would no longer be in the underground.

I'm going to die when I hit the ground, aren't I?