Thank You for Volunteering

Olivia Caliban expected to feel the tearing claws of a pride of starving lions digging into her flesh. Her screams mixed with those of the carnival goers as she prepared to die in a stuffy tent.

Violet, Klaus, and Sunny Baudelaire heard the screams as they ran from the horrors a noble librarian had saved them from.
"That sounded like Olivia."
A glance was exchanged between them and they did what they had been doing for so long. They ran, literally and figuratively.

Lemony Snicket paced nervously in a hotel room, which might be said to be as stuffy as a carnival tent full of people, despite the fact that there was only one person inside the room. One person, and one ghost. Or the ghost of a ghost. Beatrice had haunted him (figuratively, of course) since the moment he had left. It was only when she truly died that her ghost disappeared. It was why Lemony knew something was utterly wrong when he heard the sirens that fateful day. It was why he was pacing in a hotel room now, when he should be running from the police banging on its door. It was why he chose to follow the Baudelaire orphans in the first place, because, in some strange way, he missed the ghost that had tortured him day and night for the past sixteen years.