10. Diversions

I watched the reaction of the crew when they realised the fate of the pirates, and seeing a mix of amusement and shock, I said, "Aye, imprisoned for life. But piracy was their choice, and they knew the consequences of being captured."

"But we ain't captured them yet, sir."

"Nay, not captured in the usual sense, lad; they are held captive by circumstance. Rather than taking on the risk involved and the need to feed them, we will allow Nature to provide those. If they are fortunate, in two or three months, they may enter the area of floating sargasso to augment their diet of fish and rainwater."

I looked over my shoulder to again examine Phantom. "But let us now focus on us. We tested our rigging the past few days, and though running downwind presented only minor problems, we found the past short while that sailing across a strong wind taxes the reduced mainmast shrouds. The repairs depleted our stores of suitable rope, and I think it wise to put into a port for renewal before venturing across the Atlantic."

"That will delay further our arrival in London."

"Possibly, Mister Stawell. And possibly not. The week or so required to return our rigging to a safe state and add to it will allow us an extra two knots and more, reducing the time needed for the crossing." I pointed toward Phantom. "Otherwise, we risk their fate."

Thankful that this quieted him, I returned my attention to the crew and said, "We will now turn to a safer downwind course while we decide on a destination. Again, well done all."

When the huzzahs and whistles quieted, I dismissed the hands to their duties and turned to Jenson. "Come port and lay a comfortable course northward."

"Aye, sir. Port to northward."

A few minutes later, when we had settled on north-northeast, Jenson said, "My searching found three suitably capable yards in Chesapeake, sir."

"Aye, and mine. But with the way Phantom appeared to want to trap us there, she may have cohorts waiting in the bay to assist. The pirates have migrated north from Port Royal to the Bahamas and now to Charles Town. And with the steady increase in the value of its tobacco trade, Chesapeake is a logical next step for them."

"True. Best to avoid it." He pointed over his shoulder. "Besides, it is now across the wind."

Nodding, I lifted a telescope to my eye as we overtook Phantom, confirming our three guns aimed at their quarterdeck had destroyed not only the swivel mountings there but also their helm. Then, I winced at the sight of spattered gore. But piracy was their choice. Ours was to disable them or again be ...

Pausing my thoughts, I blew a deep breath and turned to Jenson. "I shall be below researching shipyards along the coast. I had not considered any beyond here."

"Aye, nor had I, sir."

Gillian joined me at the hatch coaming, and when we had descended, I led her into the chart room and searched through the broad, shallow drawers. Then, finding the portfolio I wanted, I leafed through the contents.

"So many maps and charts."

"Aye, Father thought it necessary to carry all that might be required in unforeseen circumstances." I pointed toward the drawers. "Also, books and reports on the places along the way. All our ships carry these, and we are diligent in updating them with our observations. As well, we carry the published works of others."

"So many details I had not considered."

"Indeed, a complex business running a ship, particularly in these waters. Information about the colonies is rapidly changing, and some of it is conflicting, so we use these as guides to what we might find. But the reality is what we see."