Chapter four

Aspen

As I walked along the pier with Cassius, I thought of Mattheo's apology. It wasn't exactly that well thought about; I could tell. He had a neutral looking face and no apologetic expression. If it was a game, I might as well play along with it, I had nothing better to do of course.

"Earth to Aspen!" he called out to me.

"Wha- Oh yeah sorry!"

"What's on your mind today?" he asked me.

"Well, um, Mattheo apologised to me and I just wonder if he actually meant it or not. He brought flowers!"

Cassius smiled down at me, then his eyes turned dark.
"He apologised?" he asked me.

"Um, yeah. It didn't exactly seem like something he would do!"

"I don't know, he can be a bit weird sometimes, maybe he was just in shock when he was told or something." Cassius shrugged confused.

"That's what he said to me! He said that when he was told about it, he was in shock. I mean I was in shock, but I didn't feel the need to go around insulting him as soon as I walked through the door!"

"I know right! And Aliana as well, I mean really it was none of her business and I thought she was a nicer person then that!"

"Who knows to be totally honest with you! I mean I have grown up around them and everything, but we hadn't talked for a good ten years and then they suddenly hate me. I remember when we all used to play together as kids and Aliana, and I would tease the two of you and never let you play any games with us!"

"Oh yeah! We were playing with the bowling pins, and you threw it at my eye; I ended up being blind for a week!"

"I remember that! I was aiming for the wall so it would hit the bowling pins in front of it and then it hit you instead."

We walked down the piers steps and took our shoes off, feeling our toes crunch on the sand. I bent down to pick up a shell in the shape of a star and pocketed it.

"So! Have you found anyone?" I ask Cassius, looking up at him as we walk into the water. It was late at night, which made it extremely ominous. We had been troubled with loads of shark attacks recently, which if we went far enough in, we would be at high risk to. I didn't hate sharks, in fact I found them rather interesting.
"No, not really," Cassius replies, scratching the side of his head in embarrassment," I am quite busy at the moment with all of my writing and all of that."

"Oooh, what are you writing?"

"Currently, I am writing a book inspired by Pride and Prejudice. Aliana found my writing you know; she laughed scornfully at it and told me that even my ninety three year old grandmother could write better than that! I am trying you know; I really am! It's just difficult to write a book that everyone would be interested in. Most male authors write about politics and most of the female writers write about marriage. Saying that, if any women wrote about politics, she would be sure to be criticised and killed by the villagers. They are so sexist!"
"Yeah, I get that. My mother is always going on at me to wear the right dresses and have the correct posture. She also hates the sexist and stereotypical ways, but she has always cared for her social status more."

"So, what do you do when you go disappearing off for most of the day?" Cassius asks, holding my hand as we walk back to shore.

"I go and draw in the forests. I mean it's only a small patch of forests, but it is good enough to hide me. I hate the hustle and bustle of castle life. I either end up walking into Aliana and Mattheo and the looks they give me could kill. I mean I should think Mattheo won't be as bad any more, but who know!"

We slowly walk back up to the castle, but not before putting our shoes on. We let go off each other hands and I look up at him. As soon as I look up, he looks away blushing and scratches his neck.

"What?" I ask embarrassed.

"Nothing! Nothing! Just a bit hot out here that's all."

"Right," I reply looking away my cheeks turning red. We say goodbye as we go to our separate wings of the castle. That was so weird!

It had been a month and Mattheo continued to keep on trying to charm and talk to me. I was a bit confused because he had never expressed any interest in me before that, but I just shrugged the thought of and decided to believe that he was doing it for the sake of the marriage.

It was a Monday and Mattheo had knocked on my door so we could go for a walk on the beach like Cassius and I normally did.

"So," Mattheo looked at me," how are you?"

"I'm good thanks, how are you?" I asked it was still extremely awkward as I wasn't sure what to believe when it came to Mattheo. He knew how to charm and persuade when he really wanted to. Even so, I was a little startled by my sudden feelings for him. He had been the kindest person to me beside Cassius and we had even talked about the name of our future children. I had also found out that Mattheo likes to paint and sells his art in some markets in France whenever their family go on Holiday. He showed me one he had been working on recently, and I had to say, they were pretty good. The textures of the paintwork were really good, and he managed to get the eyes of the wolf to look 3 dimensional so it felt like the wolf's eyes were really staring at you. He had promised to paint me my favourite animal next; a fox.

"I'm doing great! I got invited to see my cousin prince Nicholas who lives in Canada in a year. He is betrothed to a girl, and he wants us all to come to the wedding. If we are married before then, you might get to see him beforehand!" Mattheo replied excitedly, hands gesturing as he spoke. Mattheo loved his cousin Nicholas, he was one of the main things he would talk about. I liked the sound of Nicholas, he sounded like a kind and genuine person; which was not something you would usually see in Greece. The town were cold and introverted. They never spoke to one another unless they were family, selling something or starting an argument. It wasn't a lovely town, but the sights were lovely.

"What's the name of the girl he is getting married to?" I ask, as we sit down on the blanket looking out to the ocean. It was mid day and the weather was absolutely sweltering.

"Tamara. She is nineteen years old like him. She is the Dutch and Dutchess of France's daughter. He says that she is very posh and hates him!"

"Really?" I ask laughing," I'm sure she can't be that bad!"

"No, probably not, but poor Nicholas sounds miserable!"

"Is Cassius getting married to anyone?" I ask Mattheo. Mattheo's eyes seemed to Colden at the name of his older brother.
"No. He convinced our parents otherwise and said that he was content with his writing and life in the castle. Of course, my parents absolutely idolise him because he is the oldest siblings and agreed with him!"

"Well I guess Cassius is sensible and he is very good at what he does. He already gets the whole family fortune when your parents become seventy, so why would he need someone?"

"Because no offence but forcing me to marry wasn't the best idea either. I hate commitment and I will never truly love anyone."

I stand up.

"Well I hope that one day you will change your mind."

Then I turned around and left.