SYNOPSIS

In the silence of her room, a girl lay on her bed, gazing up at the ceiling as if it were a canvas for her imagination. In her mind, the ceiling transformed into an intricate game of 'Go,' where black and white stones vied for supremacy. As she followed the imaginary moves, a subtle smile played on her lips. The allure of 'Go' captivated her, appreciating the silent strategy where territory could be claimed without the need for spoken words. It was the unspoken dialogue on the board that fascinated her the most – a dance of strategy and anticipation that unfolded silently, mirroring the quiet contemplation of her own thoughts in that serene moment.

In a flash, she blinks and the board disappears, her ceiling returning to its dull original state.

Sitting up, the girl surveyed her cluttered bedroom with a practiced eye. Papers and case files sprawled across every available surface, creating an organized chaos that only she seemed to comprehend. As she peered through the clutter, her keen gaze honed in on critical details. A magnifying glass rested beside a stack of photographs, and a dim desk lamp cast a focused glow on a cryptic message scrawled on a notepad. The room, an extension of her analytical mind, held the threads of mysteries waiting to be unraveled. With a determined resolve, she reached for a dossier, her fingers deftly navigating the labyrinth of evidence, ready to piece together the puzzle that awaited her next move.

"Ha!"

She sprinted up from her position, ran out her room and out of her apartment, bumping into one of her neighbours while grabbing her jacket.

"Sorry Mr. Thompson!"

"Solved another one, Hudson?" The old man said, gripping his hat under his arm and a coffee in his other hand.

"Yup!" She said, raising her hand to alert the taxi coming towards her and jumping in. She settled in the middle of the taxi and leaned forward.

"Where to?" said the taxi driver.

"63rd Precinct, please."

~~

A typical morning for Elizabeth cannot be defined. Running into the precinct like a madwoman is a reason why. Papers clutched tightly in her hand, she felt the weight of weeks of investigation finally culminating in a breakthrough. She had been "working" (she stole the case file from a detective's desk when he wasn't looking) on this case for longer than she intended. The clatter of typewriters and the hum of conversations dulled momentarily as her entrance drew curious glances from intimidating officers. As she briskly crossed the room, she couldn't help but deduce the unspoken thoughts of her colleagues.

The seasoned lieutenant, seated at his desk, shot a look that combined surprise and begrudging admiration. He recognized victory when he saw it, even if it came from the unconventional methods of the department's youngest hired detective. Another detective in the corner raised an eyebrow, silently acknowledging the rookie's prowess but with a hint of skepticism lingering in his gaze. No one in the precinct appreciated Elizabeth, viewing her as the black sheep of the group. Elizabeth caught the cop's quick glance, realizing he was sizing her up, contemplating the balance between ambition and wisdom. Her glare stopped him from making a comment.

Navigating through the sea of desks, Elizabeth approached the desk sergeant, who wore an expression that blended curiosity with a touch of envy. She could almost hear the unspoken question – "How did she crack it before any of us?" A few officers exchanged whispers, and Elizabeth knew her reputation as the precinct's enigmatic private detective had just been solidified. As she neared the Captain's office, the tech specialist gave a subtle nod, being one of the only ones who's somewhat indifferent of her.

With a triumphant smile, Elizabeth settled into the Captain's chair, spreading the papers across his desk. The precinct returned to its usual buzz with her residing in his office, but the undertone had shifted. Elizabeth Hudson had done it again, deciphering not only the case at hand but also the unspoken language of her fellow detectives.

At that moment, the Captain walked into his office, narrowing his eyes at the sight of the girl sat in his seat with her legs dangling on his desk.

"Bit challenging this one, with the mother actually being alive. I mean why didn't I think of that-" She was interrupted by him putting his fingers on his lips.

"Get off my chair, Hudson."

She stood up quickly, straightening her jacket and wiping off imaginary dust. She awkwardly stared at him before clearing her throat.

"I solved it." She said, like a child who had just unwrapped their Christmas present.

They swapped their places, Elizabeth standing with her back to the door and the Captain sitting in his chair.

"Do you realise just how many cases you have solved in this month?" He said, looking up at Elizabeth.

"Um.. A few?" She said, giving him a sheepish smile.

"36. 37 if you include the one on my desk."

She stared at him expressionlessly. "Your point is?"

"I've been getting some.. complaints. Some people are concerned with the amount of cases you've been solving in comparison to the actual detectives here."

With an arched eyebrow, Elizabeth retorted, "Well, I can't help it if I'm just too good at my job."

The Captain sighed, "This isn't a joke, Elizabeth. Some of the detectives feel overshadowed, and it's causing tension. I've been patient, but I need you to tone it down."

She leaned back, unfazed. "Tone it down? Where's the fun in that?"

The Captain sighed again and revealed, "There's an opportunity at Scotland Yard. They're looking for someone with your... talents. A chance to be an actual detective, not just a rogue investigator causing chaos here."

Elizabeth's eyes gleamed at the prospect of a new challenge. "London, huh? Sounds like a breath of fresh air."

The Captain nodded, "It's a chance to legitimize your skills. I've convinced them you're worth the offer."

She smirked, "Convinced them or bribed them?"

Ignoring the remark, the captain continued, "Take the job, Elizabeth. It's a chance to do things by the book for once."

After a brief, sarcastic deliberation, Elizabeth conceded, "Fine, Captain. I'll bring my talents across the pond. But let's be clear – I'm not doing it for you or your uptight detectives. I'm doing it for the thrill of the game. London better be ready for Detective Elizabeth Hudson."

~~

unedited.