.6

BENNETT

       Since coming to the aristocrats I had rarely had a decent night of sleep. If I was being completely honest I hardly felt as though I had left that crapped cage in that to crowded room. My sleep was often filled with the clink of a heavy iron collar and the phantom pain of electricity being stabbed into my side. My nap, if I had to guess by the dimness of the lights around me, had been devoid of any of that. I had slept soundly and so deeply I hadn't even felt myself being moved.

The room I woke up in now was grandiose, boasting a sprawling hot spring large enough to fit at least ten comfortably at its center. In one corner of the room, a lounge area boasted comfy looking chairs and a round table adorned with an assortment of delectable treats that had become an irresistible craving for me, since coming here. On the opposite side loomed a colossal stone slab bed were I was currently downing under a pile of luxuriously blankets, pillows and furs. A long light grey fabric cascading from the ceiling and around the bed. The fabric seemed to provide a semblance of privacy within the open-concept space, adding an element of seclusion to the part of the chamber dedicated to sleeping. Thick steam billowed from the pool in the center of the room, making the air heavy and the ambiance mysterious.

Thick long claws rasped softly through my overgrown curls, and despite the unusual circumstances, I wasn't shocked to find the green eyed warrior lounging next to me. Nor did I resist the way his tail playfully brushing over my neck and ears in what felt like a gesture of affection or amusement. However it did take me a moment to realize that the raven-haired feline was also with us on the bed, looming closely over my shoulder from behind me. It was his touch I had felt on my scalp, a soothing yet terrifying feeling of lethal claws grazing my skin, enough to feel but not enough to hurt.

It occurred to me then, as I pulled myself from the throws of my sleep, that I was alone in the room with these two completely unfamiliar and obviously dangerous creatures. There was no aristocrat in sight, no one to intervene if these predators decided to unleash their sharp claws upon my softer more defenseless body. I quickly found myself trying to detangle my suddenly gangly limbs from the mass of blankets and the alien creatures they were entangled with.

Surprisingly, the felines released me without any resistance. The dark haired one's thick claws lazily fell to its side on the bed as the warriors tail unwound itself from my throat. His tail then swished slowly across the canopy draped around the large bed before settling behind its strangely shaped feet in a relaxed state.

They caught my attention momentarily, the way they were reminiscent of the back paws of a large predator I had only witnessed behind a glass enclosure was fascinating to me. The interest died quickly though, when my gaze shot up and locked with those striking emerald eyes. They were fixated on me just as the big cats behind the gas would have been, and as I moved downward and off the bed, putting the lounge chair between myself and both of the feline like creatures as efficiently as I was able to, I didn't feel as though his interest was far from that of his large car look alike.

They wanted to eat me.

The intensity of their gazes still mirrored that of a cat calculating the pounce, as I worked to grow the distance between me and the bed. My chest felt tight from the pressure of it, and I found myself holding my breath, anticipating an attack that never came.

Instead, the green eyed one turned toward his prince with the sleek, ebony coat and they engaged like they were having a conversation, the chuffs and purrs low as if they were afraid I would overhear and understand. The darker colored alien affectionately curled and uncurled his tail around the other's legs as they communicated. He then made an affirmative noise, and without any further sound, not even the padding of large feet and claws against the floor, the grey colored warrior rose from the bed and positioned himself, facing the room's entrance, as if he meant to stand watch.