Chapter 2: jake

‧˚₊•┈┈┈┈୨୧┈┈┈┈•‧₊˚⊹

"I'm off then, Ave! Have fun at university," my father called to me as he was about to leave our house. 

What he didn't know, however, was that I had other plans than going to my lectures today.

All dressed up and ready to go, I hurried down the stairs.

"My lectures are canceled today." I lied. "Can I come with you?".

He frowned in wonder. "Canceled?"

"Yeahh, my lecturer got sick and no one could stand in for him.". 

"Ava, it's up to you how you study for the exams, but I don't want to be lied to by you.".

I sighed, annoyed. "Fine.  Can I still come along?".

"Whatever," he shrugged his shoulders and we finally left the house together.

A victorious grin spread across my face. I didn't fancy physics and would fail the exam anyway. So it didn't matter how many lectures I attended. 

 On the way to the racetrack, my father asked me several times when my sudden interest in his life's work came from. You have to know that I've never really been enthusiastic about this sport all these years. I got a few superficial details, and my dad dragged me along to 90% of the international competitions. But that was everything.

Here in Australia, it was warm, or rather hot, in contrast to Europe. The heaters from a few days ago have now been replaced with air conditioning in the racing stables. 

Once there, we entered the team's group room, where only a few employees were sitting at computers or trainers were standing outside watching the drivers.

We were greeted with effusive greetings from all sides, which I just nodded off nicely as my father took over the answering.

I had just had a rough look around for the first time when not a second later, the first person came up to him and literally bombarded him with questions. 

Well, it wasn't easy being the boss.

 But the whole thing had nothing to do with me, which is why I put my target on the racetrack outside.

I went out through a glass door, where the hot and humid summer air awaited me. Fortunately, the area outside was partly sheltered, so at least I could stand in the shade.

Three sports cars shot past me at breakneck speed, only protected by a small barrier that spectators and employees were not allowed to cross. 

"Let's go, Jay! Just like this!". a man in a polo shirt and cap next to me shouted into his walky talky, which was apparently connected to the mercedes.

The American was obviously doing a training race against another of our drivers. But don't ask me, I don't know anyone here anyway.

It took another three or four laps before the car slowed down and stopped near our barrier.

"One minute and 34 seconds on the penultimate lap.", announced the cap-man and walked towards Jay, when he finally stepped out. 

I guess it was a "well done" that he added. But I couldn't understand it clearly. 

The man sitting in the red ferrari, however, turned out to be about 50 years old man. Probably a former driver. 

The last, silver car, was still doing its laps, but much more relaxed and a lot slower.