Chapter 1

Will Vandom panted as her magic began to dry, attempting to fight a squad of soldiers who had surrounded them

Will Vandom panted as her magic began to dry, attempting to fight a squad of soldiers who had surrounded them. She could feel her energy waning and her powers dwindling with each passing moment. The soldiers closed in, their weapons gleaming in the dim light, ready to strike. Will knew she had to find a way out of this predicament before it was too late. The other girls fared no better than her. They were all dirty and battered. In the routine raid to get more supplies for Caleb, the Guardians had gotten too close to the castle, and the soldiers kept coming with reinforcements. She knew they would lose if this continued any longer. The girls did not have enough strength to fight anymore. Their mission was practically over - the only thing left was to close the gap between their worlds and flee. Will surveyed her surroundings and shouted an order as the last rebel in Caleb's squad entered the portal to travel back and forth through their world. 'Guardians, hurry up; we are done here!'

The girls darted around the soldiers, running as fast as they could, but the swirling portal was too far away. They needed more time to escape safely. Will felt her heart hammer as she summoned the last of her strength to defend her companions. With ruthless determination, she blasted a pink and crackling energy ball that burst and sent soldiers flying in all directions.

'Come and get me, freaks!' She yelled, sprinting closer to the castle in order to get more cover. A few dozen monsters gave chase, trying to shoot down her fleeing form.

'A little bit further...' Will thought, desperately trying to reach the wall for a better hiding spot. Yet, she was too slow and too tired. It took a split second for her to notice the girls disappearing inside the portal, and one single glance was her downfall. Unexpected pain rocked her body, spreading fire in her back. Will screamed, suddenly slipping on the muddy ground and hitting a wall with a thud. An arrow protruded from the butterfly's wing, piercing straight into her shoulder. She moaned as the wound aggravated with each movement. Gritting her teeth and swallowing a scream, Will yanked the arrow out of her body. Blood gushed from the wound, making her dizzy, and she knew she had to act fast and find safety before too much was lost.

'A bit longer...' she braced herself and started climbing the wall, forced to move up despite the warm blood trickling down her uniform. Maybe it was unwise to remove the arrow, but it limited her movements, and their healing ability would not allow her to bleed out. The enchantments hidden in the rocks vibrated when she touched their rough surface. By chance or luck, the defensive magic did not activate. It felt odd, but there was no time to think about such things in such a dire situation. Will could hear the arrows hitting and falling without finding their intended target as the rigid rocks sliced into her palms. A few soldiers pursued her, but they were too heavy and slid down the damp surface. Will ascended out of sheer stubbornness, panting and taking huge gulps of air through the pain. The world tilted after reaching the top. Stumbling awkwardly on an uneven surface, she allowed herself to fall across a castle wall. Will dropped like a stone, her strength waning, hoping to survive the descent. The wind was howling in her ears as she plummeted towards the ground, her heart racing with fear. The green grass below was the last thing Will saw before closing her eyes and bracing for impact.