11- Besties and memory lanes.

Willow

"Damn, your life is turned into a full-blown soap opera," Valarie mutters, eyes lit up with amusement. I scowl, pushing my steaming hot coffee mug gently against the back of her hand. 

"Ow!" 

"You are supposed to be my emotional support, Idiot. something like, 'Oh, my dear friend, your misery and sadness is my equal despair, I will help you out.'" I press my free hand against my heart dramatically. 

Valarie came back yesterday itself and showed up unannounced today. I have no idea how she got the location - but I'm not surprised, the woman is a damn hacker. I had to practically threaten the guards on Nico's name to let her in while this dumbass argued with men twice her size, hurling insults before I pulled her in, and she began her rapid-fire questionnaire. 

Grinning even wider while rubbing her hand, she leans back on the couch. "What do you want me to do? tend your already tended wounds - which for the record were bandaged all up by your dear husband."

I roll my eyes, "Don't even mention that grumpy asshole. I bet he has bipolarity disorder." I grumble, locking out yesterday's memories.

Val chuckles softly, shaking her head and tracing the rim of her empty mug, eyes expression dampening. "Willow, no matter what--" she waves her hand in the air. "--this all is hectic; you are just nineteen for fuck's sake and they got you wed off," she sighs, and I feel my chest tighten.

 I know what she means, my father was my tormentor and my mother never cared enough. I had expected a fight from my brothers' side - and they did fight for me, but somehow It wasn't enough and the guilt to think this way gnaws my insides. 

"It was inevitable, you know? This is an average life of a woman living in a Mafia," I mumble, swallowing the knot in my throat.

Val slowly, cups my hand with hers, my heart lightening a bit with warmth. "I'm sorry. I wasn't there - This is my fault, too. I should have kept in mind that despite the distance, keeping in contact with you was necessary." Her voice cracks. 

Squeezing her hand back, I force a small smile, "Don't say that. I didn't inform you. plus, you have a life too. don't blame yourself, Val." 

She stands up and engulfs me in a hug. "I miss Wren," I whisper, choking back a sob as I silently cry against her shoulder, feeling the weight lift off as she rubs my back soothingly. 

"Ssh, Hon. we'll find a way 'kay? You will meet her by the end of this week." She pulls back gently, wiping my tears and smiling softly.

"Really?" I whisper in a small voice.

"Really." 

She sits back down as I sober up. "Oh, by the way, I have a boyfriend." My eyes widening, my jaw slack.

"Come again?" Val never dates. like never. 

smiling sheepishly, she mutters, "Boyfriend. I met him online, we facetimed and all. He lives here to so we will be finally meeting up soon." 

I blink, digesting the information. "Who are you? what have you done to Miss- I-rather-make out-with-an octopus-than-date."

punching my arm lightly she rolls her eyes. "Wills, he is actually so nice and funny and charming." She sighs dreamily. 

I break into an amused smile, punching her arm back. "That guy better treat you right, or else I'm feeding him to your Australian spiders." 

"Bet." She grins. 

"You sure he isn't some desperate forty years old man with four kids and works in a construction site with a bear belly?" I raise my eyebrow, feign seriousness.