Chapter 3

Days have passed since William arrived at the Farming village and since its harvest feast. during his time with the Beggars ( which he decided to stay with due to lack of income) he slowly learned of their many misfortunes. the oldest beggar , kirsch, lost not only his farm from false taxations, which he claimed is a lie, but also his only child to sickness a year after that. The children beggars claim to either run away from their overcontrolling parents or were orphaned due to unfortunate circumstances. Rest of the beggars were either thrown out of their farms or some other business but William understood their hardships. What's worse is that their king, king Karl's III cares little for the beggars throughout his nation. perhaps the most troubling is the lack of control within the nation.

Dukes, counts and even petty barons wage minor conflicts throughout the realm, vying for either more land and power or seeking favor with the king, who has little interest on what's happening within his domain. William also learns that banditry has grown in great number in recent years , never before was this a big problem in over a hundred years, or so William was told. Aside from that William noted that how the economy works thanks to kirsch who offered knowledge of the kingdom. William knows some basics of economics but this was much simpler then he thought. A Coin based economy set in two, gold and silver but copper is sometimes used in some areas of the Kingdom. 

William, curiously, asked of other kingdoms on the continent. Kirsch looks on in thought, then he drew a picture on the dirt for a better idea. William looks at this rather impressive map on the ground, sometimes Kirsch would fix a mistake or two while explaining who are the kingdoms such as " the kingdom of vale is the northernmost nation, often small but little worth going there," points tow the kingdom south in the drawing " this one is the Kingdom of Bula , rather large for a kingdom but has more coast line then any kingdom. Sadly we border them here" points again to where the kingdom of Kara is situated. " now for empires, Aside from Valka there's another though rather small and far west here" points again but further away from Kara." they're rather zealous of our faith with the grand light , so best be careful while your there." 

As Kirsch finished his explanation William is surprised how big the continent it is , or rather how small it is. Somewhat reminding him of Canada from his world only more jam packed and such. William learns also of minor states landlocked in the center of the continent , hardly worth mentioning he says and maybe for good reason William thought. 

Then panic arose from the beggars as some guardsmen arrive in front of the Barn with malice intent in their eyes, Which William is all to familiar with. " This Barn is hear by condemned for demolishment now vacate the premises now!" the leading guard announced with little care for the beggars. Kirsch then walks other to them and asks " but where will we go? this Barn has been our haven for many years, surely you fine men can help us find a new place to stay?" with both hope and nervous anxiety. Then out of nowhere or warning the leading guardsmen  punched Kirsch with his gauntlet fist to his guts while smirking devilishly while doing so he then says " Men! round up the beggars and take whatever items worth of value! " .The Red Guards roared in unison and began rounding up the defenseless beggars while dragging our Kirsch with them.

William snuck out with them without harm, but to his horror the Red guards were indeed stealing from the already poor folk of the village. William's anger grew larger as the last of the Beggars left the barn did the guards set out burning the barn down without question nor mercy. William knew he can't win against two dozen men, both young and old or even experienced and cruel. At least with a weapon he could slay some of them before dying but he knew better.

The Leader then says " Now that this Barn is in process of being destroyed, FUCK OFF! get out of here you bloody leeches!" he yelled with mockery and joy and even a hint of anger towards the beggars. The Red Guard even laughed as the weak and old fled away from the growing blaze of the fires of the now destroyed barn. it's blaze grew so bright by dusk that the entire village could see it...but none of the people offered aid nor hope for the now truly homeless beggars. William then led the group towards the forest where he came from. by night time they arrived near a creek where fish can be found in abundance, some fruit and nuts can be harvested as well.

William, still furious of what has transpired asked Kirsch " why didn't the mayor or whatever leader of this village stop them from this brutality!?" more of a yell then a subtle whisper for none to hear. Cries and despair now fill the beggar group. Kirsch looks on solemnly around him then says, rather with a hint of poison " because our elder of the village is bought off from the guard. For nearly Ten years he has accepted bribes from them lot! course he has it out on us beggars, thinking where leeches begging for some scraps. but alas even if we replace the elder the guard will still be cruel and we are powerless to get rid of them." William looks a his friend in horror , not only is corruption so rampant throughout the guard but also the entire nation he deduced. " surely we can fight the guards right?" William asked but Kirsch says rather angrily " and then what!? have another more crueler and corrupt group of guards come here and replace them? "sigh' look i saw it in your eyes believe me i do understand it's just we can't  best them."

And with that William accepted the silence as his sign for him to abandon the topic. instead he set out to distract himself by helping out build shelter for the beggars. but his anger only grew slowly and slowly...he finally realized by nights end that the kingdoms stood no chance against the coming war that is approaching.