Chaper 1

𝚆𝚊𝚛𝚗𝚒𝚗𝚐𝚜: 𝙰 𝚋𝚒𝚝 𝚘𝚏 𝚐𝚘𝚛𝚎 𝚊𝚝 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚎𝚗𝚍

I sigh as I stuff another can of food into my pouch and close it again.

I managed to survive another day, surprisingly, even though sleep was a foreign concept to me now, and it was slowly getting to me. I was weaker every day, barely holding myself on my feet on some days. Those were usually spent figuring out how to get out of this forsaken place. And I silently hoped it would be soon, even though there was no indication of such. But not hoping would drive me insane by this point! I only had myself to talk to, having no luck in finding other survivors or even creatures that weren't trying to kill me. Not to mention the awfully quiet streets of the town. The silence only disturbed by my footsteps or a monster from time to time.

I exit the small, abandoned grocery store and step back onto the streets, which were foggy as usual, though this time even less walkable. I pull out the sheet of paper I managed to find the other day, one I was able to messily sketch a map onto to travel better since I can't see shit in this place.

The hospital isn't far away, just down the street and to the right at the next turn, luckily.
"Shit!" I hiss a little as the scratch on my arm starts stinging again. I wasn't able to get bandages yesterday, and the crawling little fuckers are hard to see at night! If I can just drag myself there, I should find something to clean it out with before I get an infection, if I miraculously haven't already.

I stumble across the street and start walking down the street, one hand grasping the scratch even though I know it won't stop the stinging. I look around the corner, turning when there's nothing there, and begin walking again, taking slow cautious steps to not hurt myself further. Within seconds I see the entrance, which is surprisingly not littered with nurses...

Pushing the door open, I step inside, looking around to notice dead nurses and other monsters. Ones that were supposed to be going after me at this moment. Is...someone here? I fix my grip on my gun and carefully step over all the monsters, making sure they don't suddenly grab me, even if it's unlikely they're alive at all. I don't hear footsteps...Did I manage to miss them? Dammit!

I rush around the 1st floor, taking a fast look into all of the rooms before doing the same on the 2nd and 3rd. I missed them! I sigh and run a hand through my hair, walking over to one of the wardrobes to look for some medicine.

Nothing. Maybe the next room?
No.
Nothing.
Nu-uh.
Dammit, cmon!

Well, if I can say anything about this survivor, they certainly know how to wipe the whole building out...I can't find a single roll of bandages or bottle of cleaning alcohol, and I already looked through the whole 3rd and 2nd floor! I step down back to the first floor, hesitantly opening one of the last few closets. A bottle of cleaning alcohol!

I take it, together with the few wipes that are next to it, and sit on one of the old, dusty beds that feel like they will break under me any second now. I brace myself for the stinging, which I already know will be more than what I'm bracing for, and start cleaning out the cut.

- - - - -

I walk back out, now with my injury carefully cleaned and a tissue hastily taped on it with some duct tape I found. Not the perfect solution, but it was the best I could come up with on the spot. The best next step would be to try to find the other survivor... Better to find them while they're alive at least, right? So I start walking through the town, trying to find any sign of anyone. Looking through the thick fog, I see someone! At least I think so. Taking slow steps towards them, stopping when I'm finally near enough to see them properly...

A tall, muscular silhouette, that seemed normal for the most part. Except for the head. A triangular shaped one, almost like a pyramid. What the hell is this thing? Maybe it's a mask? I doubt it...

Still, I take small, quiet steps towards them, gun prepared in case I have to attack. The silhouette slowly becomes just a bit clearer when I'm a few meters away from it. The head was made of some kind of metal, way too heavy for it to be a mask.

It's not human. It's not looking at me however. At least I think? I follow where the point of the head is looking, meeting eyes with a pile of flesh. About a dozen of monsters torn apart on one pile, blood leaking off the pile and onto the road.

The sight alone brought me discomfort. But the stench of it was about to make me vomit soon.

I look back up to the monster, only to see it turned towards me. I freeze, my gun forgotten in the fear that rushes through my body when I realize it's looking straight at me, and there's only one thing on my mind. Run.

𝟾𝟿𝟶 𝚠𝚘𝚛𝚍𝚜