Chapter #33

Tilting her ear to hear outside Jasmine touches the floorboards, "they're coming."

Fidgeting with the stuck arrow Carr queries, "huh, what? Who's coming?"

"Just a little more time," she points to the well. "I can smell that Fiery Oil again." Grabbing an arrow she says, "on one."

"What?" Unsure Carr picks up an arrow.

"One!" Jasmine stands, draws, aims and releases. Her arrow flies as she gets down.

"One?" Carr stands seeing a male keel over. Another male is gathering up the wrapped arrows, as a dozen projectiles enter the tower openings.

Carr shields the face with the left arm; a bolt pierces that arm, an arrow digs into the right arm. Hurting Carr the most, a rock breaks his left pinky and causes the two adjacent fingers to swell up. "Yipe!" Utters Carr stomping both feet twice. Drawing the arrow back with anguish Carr aims at the small male running with an arm full of Fiery Oil-soaked arrows.

Standing to take a second shot Jasmine watches envious of a moving target. Following through Carr exhales releasing the arrow, like hunting a rabbit before it makes it to its' hole. The arrow pins the male's arm to his body, twisting the male to the ground. Jasmine sends out an arrow to finish the small male.

Making out the small male's face Carr's eyes widen. It's Cal. Just as Jasmine's arrow dives into the male's small collar, heading straight for the heart. Mouth open Carr's eyes redden. Jasmine pulls him down to avoid a volley of arrows.

Fighting off a tear Carr yells at Jasmine, "that was Cal! He's just a boy starting out!" Unsure of whom to direct his aggression too sighs loudly.

Certainly not proud of what she's doing, Jasmine knows only that the males out there are merely parasites on the world. Standing swiftly, she takes out the man sent to collect Cal's dropped arrows.

Kneeling beside Carr she softly remarks, "Cal was on the wrong path in life and was helping to get you and I."

Understanding her comment is what's really making Carr mad. Trying not to direct his emotions at Jasmine, "it's more than that. He was the last of his family name. They were wiped out in warfare. You know like hunting a creature until there isn't anymore. He actually had signs of wisdom and an urge for learning."

His words get to her, Jasmine sighs as arrows and bolts hit the stonework. Standing quickly, she takes out a third male heading for the arrows.

Softly touching Carr's jaw Jasmine looks into his eyes, "that is sad. But he is assisting those bandits out there. And anyone that looks threatening isn't going to make it far from here."

Placing her hand on the floorboards, "you should be able to feel it now." Looking up notes the flaming arrow attack wasn't enough to burn the roof.

As rocks and arrows fly in Carr feels the floor, sensing a faint vibration, "is something big coming?"

Checking the grounds Jasmine sees a male running past Cal taking what arrows he can in passing. She drops down avoiding a group of arrows. "Well," jumping up Jasmine fires an arrow into the man who just snapped up a few oil-soaked ones. Taking him down the male falls on top of the fire screaming out and smothering the flames. Ducking down Jasmine finishes her statement, "not big, so much, as many." She reaches over and yanks the arrow out of Carr's right arm.

"Hey!" Wincing Carr rubs the wound, "jeez, I said warn me next time."

Bending over she picks up a useable arrow, "come on, we've only got to keep them occupied a bit longer."

Looking for a good arrow to use Carr notes, "we're low on useable arrows."

On her feet Jasmine shoots at a male trying to pull his fallen comrade off the fire, only wounding him.