i. the calm before the storm

˗ˏˋ⋆ V I O L E N T  D E L I G H T S ⋆ˎˊ˗ ↳  𝐢

˗ˏˋ⋆ V I O L E N T D E L I G H T S ⋆ˎˊ˗
↳ 𝐢. 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐜𝐚𝐥𝐦 𝐛𝐞𝐟𝐨𝐫𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐬𝐭𝐨𝐫𝐦
𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘷𝘢𝘮𝘱𝘪𝘳𝘦 𝘥𝘪𝘢𝘳𝘪𝘦𝘴, 𝘴𝘦𝘢𝘴𝘰𝘯 𝘰𝘯𝘦

( 𝔭𝔦𝔩𝔬𝔱 )

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

CHARLIE WINCED, BLINKING RAPIDLY AS SHE TRIED TO ADJUST TO HER NEW contact lenses. She squeezed her eyes shut, waiting for the discomfort to pass. When she finally opened her eyes, the once-blurry world before her became clearer.

Pausing for a moment, the Forbes girl stared at her reflection, hardly recognizing herself. Last year, Charlie would've never worn eyeliner or cared about what her hair looked like.

But this year, she was a different person.

Gone were the frizzy curls, replaced by a perfectly tamed cascade of silky waves that she could effortlessly run her fingers through. Her pale skin held a touch more color, a faint reminder of her summer tan. Looking at a photo from the previous year, it was evident that time had been kind to her.

Charlie glared at the pair of thick black-framed glasses resting on the bathroom counter. She shook her head at the annoying piece of plastic.

That's what it was to the Forbes girl.

It was nothing more than a piece of plastic that made all the boys turn away. She acknowledged the superficiality of it all, her mother's voice echoing in her mind.

"Boys don't care about what's on the outside. It's about what's on the inside that matters," she would always say.

"Charlie!"

Her attention shifted to the door as the doorknob turned. Lily Forbes, the matriarch of the family, stood in the doorway to her room.

"7:45. Fifteen minutes," Lily told her.

"All right," nodded the Forbes girl.

After brushing her hair and applying a touch of makeup, Charlie ran her hand through her golden blonde locks, taking one last glance in the mirror. She smiled, approving what she saw.

"Hey, Buttercup," she hummed, kneeling down to pick up the black and white tuxedo cat that had been lingering at her feet. The small feline purred in her arms, finding solace in Charlie's warmth. The blonde playfully swayed on the balls of her feet, bouncing from side to side.

After feeding her cat and resting her down in her bed, her sneakers squeaked against the tile as she trotted into the kitchen and poured herself a cup of coffee with her backpack slung over her shoulder.