Cure to Homesickness: Chapter 26

Konohagakure, Near Village Gates: Back to the Journey

"Awwww, Katomi-chan, I'll miss you a lot, dattebane," Kushina whined with her arm intertwined with mines as we made our way to the front gates of the village. I sighed in exasperation, feeling internally warm at someone desiring me as a friend, "You shouldn't worry much, I'll come back to the village in the future when I have some time." I responded as I turned to the excitable redhead and smiled. She giggled slightly in response before I continued, "And you need to speak to Minato today, remember, be patient, he'll come around eventually. Next time I come to visit, I'd like to meet him," I finished with a bright smile. Kushina blushed slightly, "F-fine," she said with a huff. Letting out a giggle, I turned back to the path that we walked on, with the early morning sun starting to make its way up. 

We later made our way to the front gates of the village, causing the chunin to turn and tense up at our arrival. I smiled disarmingly, before turning to Kushina, "I promise, I'll see you later, please just don't worry about me," I said. Kushina smiled slightly, "I won't, I guess," she said while giving me another tight hug before stepping back. I sighed as my wings formed, to the slight amazement of Kushina, "So cool, dattebane." I smiled at her once more, "Hm, perhaps I'll teach you later if it's possible," I said before finally taking off and flying towards the south, finally able to make my way back home.

Village of Firefly, 1 Day Later: New Beginnings

"Aw man, I shouldn't have drunk so much water after dinner, dad needs to be banned from cooking another steak from now on," I said while sitting up straight, seriously in need of relieving myself. I turned to my side and reached for my glasses, before finally placing them on, now able to see clearly. My gaze then landed on the small slit of my curtains, the light of the high moon bathed my face as the small breeze of the fresh air flew through the small opening of my cracked window. With another remainder of my predicament, with haste, I got up, grabbed my robe from my desk chair, and made my way to my room door quietly.

After a few moments, I stepped out of my room and glanced around the dark and quiet house. With a light sigh, I made my way to the bathroom that I needed expeditiously. Taking several breaths, I mentally prepared myself to enter the bathroom, before finally entering it. Flipping on the light switch, I earnestly avoided the mirror, not wanting to see myself. I made my way to the toilet and hesitated slightly, the feeling of discomfort started to rise inside me. With a small breath, I turned around and dropped my pajamas, before squatting down. "What is wrong with me?" I questioned in thought before continuing, "I've felt uncomfortable about myself...about my...body, for a while. I need to figure this out, or I'll go crazy. I can't keep avoiding myself forever." I finished as I also finally felt relieved of my duties and stood back up, flushing the toilet in the process. 

Standing in front of the mirror while looking upward in another vain attempt to avoid myself, I let out another sigh before slowly lowering my gaze to stare at my reflection. "It seems like today is a particularly hard day," I thought as I looked at my freckled face in the mirror for a moment before turning on the tap to wash my hands. For perhaps the last several months, I've been steadily becoming more and more frustrated with myself for being this way that I have no way of being able to explain. I've noticed that I have been growing increasingly interested in Katomi-chan, well, I have always been in love with her since we first met. But, I think this is a different kind of interest, more in her fashion and how she carries herself. I still have no idea what she does for a living, or to be able to afford such expensive and elegant-looking clothing, however, I feel...I...I don't know. "Jealously?" I asked in thought as I finished washing my hands.

Looking back at my reflection, I noticed the confused look on my face before shaking my head and turning to leave the bathroom. "I don't think of jealous of Rose-chan as a person, but more that she's able to wear whatever she wants, or...what I feel interested in myself. Who am I kidding, if stepped out of my house with a kimono, the entire village would laugh at me." I said in thought as I made my way back to my room, before finally entering and closing the door quietly. I stared at the ground pensively, "I mean, I already look kinda like a girl, mom said that I took after her mostly when it comes to physical appearance. Maybe I should try on something and see how I feel?" With another tired sigh, I finally raised my gaze from the floor, only to see a pleasant surprise, "Akito-kun, I've missed you so much," Katomi said quietly as she rushed toward me, embracing me tightly in a hug.