the ever-so-elusive

When it comes to trading card games, you might have a few things up your sleeve. Honestly, yeah, go ahead and talk yourself down by thinking that you're just a beginner, that you stink, and that, ooh, Cyno is a god among men. None of that is true! At least, well, not anymore. You're head-to-head with him, one card on each other's deck, and you are giving him the nastiest stink eye anyone could conjure.

The eight dice are spun, and you're jutting out your lip. If the universe is on your side for once, this will forever change your fate.

And...

Score!

Cloud nine? Cloud ten, cloud eleven? No words could describe how you felt, like the rays of the sun and all of the seven Archons blessing you at this very moment — elated, pretty elated.

A smirk plays on your lips. "Sorry!" you sang. It was only for a moment in which you witnessed anguish and desperation flash in Cyno's... eye. No mercy on this battlefield, though, as your single card's elemental burst had annihilated Cyno's will.

As the imaginary dust settles, the winner's name is called out by no one else but Tighnari.

"You... won?" he says in awe.

"I sure did!" you beamed. It was a last-second choice to congratulate yourself rather than scream 'In your face, loser!' to Cyno. Mostly because his polearm is joining the group today, as always. Maybe you guys should make it an honorary member of the club?

Cyno has his arms crossed and his only visible eye closed. He's pondering and mourning his potential win. "I can't believe you bested me."

"I sure can!"

He fixed his menacing eye on you. You shrunk into your seat.

He sighs, "Did you learn some new tricks from Inazuma? That technique you used was quite new to me."

Laughing, you averted your eyes and said, "Yeah, I guess you can say that. My instincts could have sharpened."

Lambad's Tavern is the same as usual. The light of the warm hue makes drunks feel even more drunk, cozier at home, and more willing to buy round after round. Scheduled tonight was the "Goated" — Cyno wanted to call it that — Genius Invokation Club meeting, in which you, Tighnari, and usually the Hat Guy try to hone your skills against the ferocious matra.

Uh, speaking of the Hat Guy, where was he?

His usual seat was empty. You lean to rest your elbows on the table. "Hey, do any of you guys know where the Hat Guy is?"

Tighnari's focus on the menu hastily flew to your question, which he answered with another question. "You do know he doesn't appreciate being called Hat Guy?"

"He doesn't?!" You shrank even more; it would be a miracle if your friends could even see you. "Ah, well, he never told me that."

"Yes, he honestly doesn't really tell us anything..." Cyno adds. He was putting away his deck; at this point, it was safe to assume that the meeting was over.

Yet, an idea invaded your mind.

"Uh... Well, how about I buy all of your guys' drinks?"

Tighnari immediately looked at you, like he just knew you were up to something. Of course, non-human instincts are way more keen than expected, but knowing him to a fault makes it so you can avoid suspicion.

Still smiling, you raised your hands up in defense, "Hm?"

The man with the swishing tail had glowered at you, "You don't drink."

"I know I don't!"

"So, why buy us our drinks?"

That grin of yours was near impossible to wipe off, as you responded with a shrug... then a wink!