The Threshold of Shadows

The car's tires crunched over the gravel road, disturbing the stillness of the dense forest that surrounded them. Tall trees, ancient and looming, formed a canopy above, their branches intertwining to cast long, gnarled shadows across the path. Sunlight struggled to penetrate the thick foliage, creating a mosaic of light and shadow that danced on the car's dashboard.

Inside the car, Liam gripped the steering wheel with a mix of excitement and nervous energy. His eyes, bright with a sense of adventure, frequently darted to the rearview mirror, then back to the narrow, winding road ahead. Beside him, Maya sat with a map unfolded on her lap, though she knew they were close. Her demeanour was calmer, more collected, but her fingers tapped an uneven rhythm on the map, betraying her anticipation.

"So, Harrow House," Liam began, breaking the silence that had fallen between them as they neared their destination. "They say the last owners just vanished – like, completely disappeared. No trace."Maya raised an eyebrow, sceptical yet intrigued. "Vanished? You don't think maybe they just moved away? You know, like normal people?"Liam laughed, a short, nervous sound. "In the middle of the night, leaving everything behind? That's not just picking up and moving, Maya. That's ghost story material."

The car rounded a bend, and the forest seemed to close in around them. Maya looked out the window, watching the shadows shift and play among the trees. She couldn't shake the feeling that the forest was alive, watching them, aware of their intrusion.

"And the sightings?" she asked, turning back to Liam. "You believe in those too?"Liam nodded, his expression turning serious. "Multiple reports of figures in the windows, strange lights, even voices in the dead of night. If we're going to find anything, it'll be tonight. "Their banter was light, but an underlying tension hung in the air, a sense of stepping into the unknown. 

The forest around them felt ancient, as if it held secrets far older than the legends of Harrow House itself.As they continued their journey, the forest began to thin, signalling their approach to the house. Liam's grip on the steering wheel tightened, and Maya folded the map, setting it aside. Whatever awaited them at Harrow House, they were determined to face it together, driven by a blend of curiosity and an unspoken fear of what they might discover.