Chapter II: Not So Meet Cute

I wake up to my handy dandy alarm clock making a racket I wish to, only, hear on weekdays, if even that. If the world played any cruel joke on me, it would be this. If the clock wasn't a hunk of metal I would try and kill it, but it is metal, and not alive, so I reach over and shut it off, glaring at the ceiling like it would do anything to help.

A moment later I hear a knock on my door and in the corner of my eyes, I see Eileen peek her head inside, a small, nervous smile on her face.

"Thanks for the wake-up." I mutter, suppressing a massive yawn.

I realize Eileen was probably the one who had switched on my alarm for the day, although it was an hour later than my usual wake-up time I wasn't any less grumpy.

I had looked forward to sleeping in and enjoying a late breakfast around nine AM like usual. But here we were! Six thirty AM on the dot. I sigh and with a groan, I pull myself up into a sitting position.

"Your coach called, she needs you at the rink in an hour." My mind stills for just a moment.

I try to wake my brain from its sleepy state. I blink as I halfway register her words.

"Who needs me where and when?" I ask her, slightly confused. It was a Saturday morning for goodness sake, why would my coach want me there so early when the rink was still exclusively closed to the public?

"They're opening early, so she decided you two would do an early practice so you have the rest of the day off. She said something about maintenance later on in the day too."

I swear in my life I have never heard my coach say anything along those lines, ever. In my one year of practising there officially and the four years of individual skating I'd done in my free time I had never heard my coach say anything like that.

As much as I wish I could just curl back into bed and drift off into blissful dreams of fluffy clouds and delicious coffee, I really couldn't. I let out a long, tired sigh before gathering myself and getting out of bed. I notice that my gym bag is ready and packed, with a fresh pair of my ice skating gym wear set out on my dresser. My brows knit together as I glance at Eileen in the corner of my eye.

"I'm calling to confirm with my coach." I say as I go to grab my phone from the charger, quickly unlocking it and speed-dialling my coach who picks up within seconds.

"Hey, you're up, good! See you in an hour?" She says cheerfully and all I can do is stand still, staring at Eileen who raises her eyebrows at me knowingly, and mouths, "I told you so." To me before disappearing down the hallway, I hear her steps making their way towards what I think is the kitchen, which could also be the living room as they're at the same end of the house.

I shake my head and turn my attention back to my coach who's still speaking.

"That's basically what's happening. So today will be the last day of practice until late March, alright?" I stare out into my room, confused.

Crap, I probably should have been listening.

"Yeah, alright," I respond, trying to seem as normal as possible like I'd totally and completely been listening to her.

A moment of silence follows.

"You didn't hear a word I said did you?" My coach says. "Yeah..." I admit, earning a sigh from her.

"Just see you in an hour, yeah?" I groan, she laughs. "Bye Y/N." The call ends and I put my phone down on my dresser, staring down at the screen as it dims and turns to black.

I drag my hands over my face and slap my cheeks to wake myself up. I groan and trudge over to the bathroom. The highlight of this morning so far was the fact that the cold water I splashed on my face, for once, actually got me in a better mood.