7- Wedding Day

AU: Canon, a few years post-strike (92sies based)

Ships: Javid (one-sided for most of this)

Triggers/Warnings: None

Author's note: This is 100% very heavily based on the song "This Day Aria" from MLP FIM. I blasted it while writing this and included it above. I also re-use one or two lines from it so playing it while reading wouldn't hurt.

-

Jack sighed, glancing at himself in the mirror through weary eyes. He wasn't used to seeing himself in a suit... He'd never felt comfortable in formal clothes. He nervously fidgeted with the comb in his hands, wishing he was allowed to wear his red bandada... He had begged, but Sarah had forbade him. She'd actually thrown it out a few days ago... She thought it was disgusting, because of all the stains on it. Jack wanted to cry when he found out, but he decided it wasn't worth making Sarah unhappy over one stupid bandana, even if it was important to him. Sarah was important too, after all.

Oh, Sarah. She was the love of his life... or so he thought, at least. Why wasn't he more excited to be marrying her? This was the kind of day he and Sarah had both dreamed of since they were kids, and everything was so perfect... The wedding was in Santa Fe. The whole thing was beautifully decorated and well-catered. All of the Newsies were in attendance. David and Crutchie were his groomsmen. Les, although he was a bit old for it now, was substituting as a "flower girl" since they didn't have one. Even Medda and Denton had come. Sarah put so much time and energy into everything. Everything was exactly how he wanted it. So what was wrong?

"Jack? Can I come in?" David's knock at the door startled him, causing him to drop the comb. He scrambled to puck it up.

"Uh- Y-Yeah, Davey, the door's unlocked-"

David gently opened the door and closed it behind him, going to sit next to Jack. "So... big day. You nervous?"

Jack noticed something in David's eyes- sorrow? Regret? Disappointment? Maybe even anger? He wasn't quite sure. Still, he forced himself to put on a smile. "N-No, not at all... I'm excited to marry Sarah, I mean, today's gonna be perfect..."

"Really?"

Jack finally allowed himself to break down, all his doubts finally spilling out. "No... If I'm bein' honest? This doesn't feel right..."

David gasped. "You're not gonna leave her at the altar... are you?"

"I- I don't think so? Maybe- I don't know! Davey, your sister is an amazin' girl, but I... when I take those vows? About how I'll always want to be with her, and how she's the love of my life over anyone else? I- I feel like I'll be lyin'..."

"You... Do you not love her?"

"Of course I love her! Or, I... thought I did..."

"And you decide this on your weddin' day?"

"I'm sorry! I just- I don't know, it's just kinda the pressure... I can't do this, Davey. I just can't."

"But you have to..."

"I can't! I can't marry her, Davey! She's your sister, I know, and I understand if you hate me, but-"

"Jack, relax! It's... fine."

Jack was instantly broken from his panic. Was that... relief, in David's eyes? Did he never want them to get married in the first place?

"What do you mean it's fine?! Sarah will hate me! I can't do this to her, I, I have to just man up and go-"

"Seriously, Jack! I think she's been havin' second thoughts too. It's fine, really- and hey, this will sound weird, but... I'm kinda glad the weddin' didn't happen."

"Why?"

"I... I was afraid I would lose you, Jack. This is one hell of a confession to make on your weddin' day, but... I love you."

Jack stood, shocked, for a moment, feeling like this all had to be a dream. It must be- none of this would realistically happen, right? He would NEVER have the guts to leave Sarah at the altar... and David loving him was just ridiculous...

"R-Really?"

David nodded sheepishly. "Always have. But I wanted Sarah to be happy."

Jack finally seemed to realise that all of this was real, and he stood up, blankly staring at the wall.

"J-Jack? What are you-"

"I'm leavin' her here." Jack responded firmly, the same blank stare in his eyes.

"What?"

"I've made up my mind. Get the other Newsies, we're gettin' outta here."

"I thought you said-"

"Forget what I said. I've been lyin' to both of us. Sarah will understand. Plus, I got a new wedding to plan."

"For who...?"

"Me and my future husband." Jack said, smirking at Davey.

"So, should I take that as you likin' me back?"

"Take it as what you will. I gotta find Sarah and tell her the weddin' is off."

"You're brave, Jack." David said in awe.

"I'm not brave. I'm just foolish. Be right back, Davey~" Jack said teasingly, giving David a quick kiss on the cheek and running off.

"Good luck with bride-zilla." David called after him.

"She ain't a bride no more!" Jack called back.

-

Yikes, this was one hell of a oneshot- this is what happens when I listen to music while writing.

Anyways might make a part two to this at some point, quite possibly tomorrow :)

Also THIS SONG HAS NO RIGHT TO BE THIS GOOD

That's all, goodnight :3