Campfire Eyes

"The cold outdoors is a perfect place to spend your birthday, they said." Thought Mike as he put down the final twigs "Who cares if it's the day before Halloween you're not scared of ghosts are you, they said" He used his lighter to start the fire.
The cold breeze made it hard but he did (after 5 frustrating tries). He looked at the sunset. "It would be a nice day for camping if it wasn't so cold." He opened his bag of marshmallow's and put them on a stick. "Not surprised no one showed up, I wouldn't either."
It was soon dark and the only thing keeping the dark from coming in, was the fire that was slowly going out. Mike sat there, playing offline games on his phone (after realizing he had no wifi and having a minor fit in the process). "What to do." He said out loud "Camping by yourself isn't exactly the best way to spend a birthday but I can make this work."
After finally getting up he walked to his tent and crawled in. Inside he looked for his flashlight, he found it under his spare clothes (that he didn't care to refold and put back into his backpack). When he finally crawled out of his tent (and smacked the old flashlight a few times to make it work) he went off on his dark journey through the woods
"Gotta be some kind of animal out here or something. Cant have them making fun of me for spending my birthday alone in the cold." ("They" were his work friends Anthony, Rick, and Jordan). He said while pushing branches out of his way (and getting smacked in the face by the same branches). Mike didn't think about how far away he was from his camp, until he did of course.
"Wait, which way did I come from again?" He said out loud.
As he walked down a path he didn't recognize, he heard a nose in the bushes
"If you're trying to scare me it wont work." He said toward the bushes. His shaky voice wasn't making his words very believable, His speed walking didn't either.
While he walked the noise followed behind him soon his walk became a sprint. "I should've stayed in my warm bed, instead I came here." He screamed to himself "If this is my fate then I don't deserve it." He said while getting even more lost than before.
Soon he ran out of breath and stopped, the sound stopped with him
"If you're gonna kill me minus well do it fast." He screamed to the woods "You shouldn't play with people this way, it's cruel." All he heard was the sound of crickets in the distance. He stood there for a second then sat down. He took out his phone (that he forgot was in his pocket) and opened his GPS (that he also forgot about). He doesn't exactly know where he camped but from his map he knew the direction he needed to go.
He makes it back to his camp and is exhausted. His flashlight died a little before he got there and he scraped his knee.
"After all that all i got was a scraped knee, what a waste of time." He thought"I can't believe I thought I was being chased." He laughed. He goes into his tent and lays down to go to sleep.
* * *
It was still night when he heard it. The scratching on his tent. He's been ignoring it for a couple minutes but feeling a cold breeze, he finally decided to open his eyes and check it out.
"Oh my gosh!" He said loudly while still whispering. "Who did this? How could this happen." When he finally managed to crawl out he saw it, on the side of his tent. Huge claw marks. It looked like a large bear attacked his tent. Not only that but everything was destroyed: his tent, his fire, his grill. Everything. He stood there in disbelief. "What kind of monster could even do this?" He thought.
Soon after standing there for a minute or two, he heard a noise in the bushes again and some kind of hissing or growling with it. He quickly turned around. "Come on guys this isn't funny anymore. I give up." He said standing up and backing away as the noise moved closer and stepping through the hole in his tent. He grabbed a stick off the floor that he remembered was from his fire. "I have a big stick. I'm not scared to hit you with it." He shouted. "Famous last words." He whispered to himself. After a couple seconds of silence it jumped up at him and he swung at it like it was baseball practice. He flinched when he swung but he got a small glimpse of it before it screeched and landed in the bush. "A big monkey maybe?" He thought "Th-That's right. Run away, I'm not scared of you." He screamed with confidence. But there in fact was no running. In fact it was getting close enough for him to see its shape. It was too dark to see its features but he could see enough. It was long with big glowing eyes, its four legs were longer than any humans and its teeth sharp as it drooled looking at its prey. But it wasn't the only one. As he backed up and fell over the twigs from his camp fire he saw more. In the trees, in the bushes, stacked on each other. Twenty maybe more, watching him. All his things were in the tent including his flashlight and keys. But both would be worthless, his car was at the parking lot down the steep hill, and his flash light died a long time ago. He knew his fate. After all, he was looking it in the eyes.

The end