𝐥𝐢𝐢. RUN FOR YOUR LIFE

"A BOMB HIDDEN IN A NEWS VAN RIPPED THROUGH THE U.N. BUILDING IN VIENNA," THE NEWS ANCHOR SAID, HER VOICE COMING FROM THE OVERHEAD TELEVISION AS STEVE AND SAM WATCHED. "More than seventy people have been injured. At least twelve are dead, including Wakanda's King T'Chaka. Officials have released a video of a suspect who they have identified as James Buchanan Barnes, the Winter Soldier. The infamous HYDRA agent, linked to numerous acts of terrorism and political assassinations."

As Steve sat in the coffee shop, watching the footage, he couldn't believe what he was seeing and hearing. Bucky had practically vanished since he pulled him from the river the day S.H.I.E.L.D. fell. There had been no other activity from him - no appearances, no sightings, no recognition, nothing. The man had basically dropped off the face of the earth, without a sign or a word. So why would Bucky show up now? And why do something as horrible as this?

After a moment, Steve remembered: Kato had been in Vienna. Though he was sure she was fine (it would take a lot more than an explosion to kill her), he knew Natasha had been there, too. So he decided to call Kato, just to make sure they both were safe.

Of course, Steve was shocked when Kato had told him she was going to sign the Accords. He never would've expected her to actually agree with Tony and put crippling limitations on herself. Like he had reminded her, when Kato revealed herself as Savior she had pledged to help people no matter the cost. And now she was going back on that? It was unbelievable. Even so, Steve knew that Kato blamed herself for what happened in Lagos even though he had assured her multiple times that it wasn't her fault. That was most likely what her reasoning behind signing the Accords was rooted in. But it still didn't make him any less heartbroken over her decision.

Now wearing a baseball cap and sunglasses, Steve walked outside and pulled out his phone. Then, he brought up Kato's call information before he hesitated, staring at the phone in his hand. He was suddenly very anxious. He didn't know what to expect when he called her. He wasn't upset with her any more, but was she upset with him? Would she want to talk to him? And would she even pick up to begin with?

Taking a deep breath, Steve steeled his nerves and pressed the green call button before bringing the phone to his ear. It took a couple rings, but thankfully Kato picked up.

"Steve?" Kato said.

Steve let out a sigh of relief. "You have no idea how happy I am to hear your voice," he said. "You alright?"

"Of course I am," Kato replied. "It'll take a hell of a lot more than an explosion to kill me, you know that."

"Yeah, I know," Steve said. "But I just wanted to be sure." He took a deep breath. "How's Nat? Did she make it?"

"She's fine," Kato told him. "A little banged up and a bit shaken, but fine. She got lucky. But not everyone did."

Steve exhaled slowly in relief. Both of the women in his life were alright. That made him very happy. But that was when he realized something. If Bucky really was behind the bombing, he would most likely have a search warrant out for him. That meant that half the world was looking for him with the intent of arresting him. But half the world didn't know Bucky like Steve did. And they certainly didn't know the Winter Soldier like he did, either. They wouldn't know how to bring Bucky in safely. Steve would.

"Steve, look," Kato said knowingly, a warning tone to her voice. "I know how much Bucky means to you, I really do. But stay home, alright? You'll only make this worse, for all of us. Please."

Steve frowned slightly. "Are you saying you'll arrest me?"

Kato was silent as she puffed air out of her nose, and Steve could tell she was shaking her head. "I wouldn't want to," Kato replied after a beat. "But I'd be forced to, if you interfere. That's how it works now."