Chapter 1 (Inspector Nakamori)

It was unclear how many hours have passed since Kid escaped from the heist. The rain was lifted already, echoing in a light drizzle.

"I don't think we can find him anymore, he's probably back home already, laughing obnoxiously with the gem upon his hand", some police officer had exclaimed.

No... no. This time was different. This time felt different.
Ginzo Nakamori could not understand this feeling nor comprehend the intensity of his foreboding.

Despite the feeling of bitterness, the inspector tried to keep to his usual aggressive determination.

"NO!! I will not finish today until we found him!"
A cold lump of dread sat in his stomach.

Something was clearly wrong.

He slowly turned around, scanning the area when it hit him. A small alleyway, conspicuously ahead of him, radiating the uneasiness he's been feeling.
He carefully stepped over as the feeling overflowed in intensity, the smell of dried blood caught his nose drastically.

"Oh my... K-KAITOU KID?!"

Shocked. Speechless. Numb. His face filled with disbelief, he couldn't move. He couldn't react. The dread which layed upon his stomach just aggravated.

Kaitou Kid... was laying on the ground... soaked in blood and dirty rain water. It was a horrific scene. His greatest rival he's been trying to arrest over for almost two decades. Just laying perished on the floor, right next to his feet.

"Kid... I...", he was whispering under his breath until he finally acted.
Inspector Nakamori was quickly trying to feel his pulse and take a look at the whole scene... it seemed like somebody shot him right next to his heart. No heartbeat was left. No single breath was taken. It was too late... the phantom thief was dead, for good.

Ginzo was still caught in disbelief. Did Kid really die...? Is this really him? Who did this... How did this happen...
*Why* did this happen...?

He was trapped in thoughts which is why he didn't notice other officers coming for help and support. They all were surprised. They all were in shock.

"You were right inspector, something horrible really did happen... and we're coming too late."

-"He's not... really *dead*... is he...?", still delusional.

"He must've been dead for hours already. His corpse is rigid already, there's nothing we could do about it."

-"Ah well... it's really over then... But what about the gem he stole?"

"There are only some pieces left of it in his hand... looks like someone shattered it and took the rest."

-"Possibly the ones who killed him? But why would they break the jewel?"

"We should let the murder scene department take over for this."

-"Call inspector Megure. I will start identifying him"

Finding out Kid's true identity after all these years felt like a severe hit into his stomach. He started feeling worse and worse about this, he felt nauseous. Genuinely sick.

The monocle fell of by itself when Nakamori removed the hat, just to feel even sicker.
Is that really who he thinks it is...?
No. It can't be... it can't be him. Not *him.*
This is even worse than expected.

-"Kaito Kuroba... 17 years old. Student at Ekoda High school."

The others looked at him in surprise. But he didn't give them a chance to ask any further about his information when he stood up and rushed out of the alley to make a call.

He was horribly shaking as he dialed the numbers... luckily, the other side picked up immediately.
"Hello?? Dad? What is it? When are you coming home?? It's already 7 am and not even that stupid Bakaito wants to wake up!!!"

-"... You're saying Kaito-kun isn't home...?"

"Well- he wouldn't answer my calls or when I rang his bell... he's probably just deep asleep or something like the idiot he is! Or are you saying he's somewhere else?"

Her father stayed silent. There was absolutely no way. But it made sense... now it was all clear in his head...
Kaito had been suspicious ever since Kaitou Kid returned. Despite his age, what if he was actually the second generation and not the same who invented the alter ego as thief 18 years ago.

It would explain why Kaitou Kid disappeared for 8 years and returned. The first Kid died 8 years ago... and now it was the second generation that died.

This was actually the worst to ever happen... why did Kaito-kun follow a thief's footsteps and risk his life like that.

"Dad... what's wrong... what happened? You're worrying me..."

-"I apologize, Aoko. I will tell you later... I'll probably have to work really long today. And in case Kaito actually wakes up... plesse call me immediately."
Then he hung up.

Kaito Kuroba... was Kaitou Kid all along... these past months at least. And he was able to hide it all for so long...
What is Aoko just going to think about it? She will be so heartbroken. First the betrayal of her childhood best friend being who she despises the most and second the loss of her best friend in such a harsh way.

He couldn't tell her, at least not yet...