The Competition.

Max didn't know who Elvis Costello was, but Lassie seemed to know all the words and emphasised the part when it went "Pump It Up" was sung. She might be the only customer Lassie had, but Max loved Lassie's gym and, selfishly, was pleased it was just her and Lassie.

"Make it count, Max; this is your last training session before the competition", he said in between, stopping & starting the mixer as he made a protein shake.

"But don't go too heavy and injure yourself", he shouted over the mixer's whir.

Again, he sang "Pump it up", perfectly in sync with the music.

Max laughed and didn't listen and went heavy anyway. She was in great shape, and her physique, after months of hard work, certainly looked competition-ready. Max felt ready and confident, and this. As far as Lassie was concerned, Max's physique would place her in the top three in any bodybuilding competition. With her strength and the numbers she could move, she would give the male competitors some tough competition in most weight-lifting categories. Max was a natural, and she was undoubtedly gifted with her genes. If she could perform as well as she was in Lassie's gym, Max would easily win. She was breaking records with little effort, time and time again.

Lassie walked in with his shake whilst Max was on the leg press.

"You know, you have a champion bodybuilder's physique, and let's not forget you also have the strength of a champion strongwoman. Where did you get those genes from? I think you're going to go far in this sport."  he slurped his shake and walked off.

"Pump it up", perfectly in sync with the music again.

Max loved Lassie, and she could see how he had been such a successful trainer. She put her air pods back in and continued with her training. Thinking about it mid-set, Max wondered where she got her genes. It must be further down the bloodline because it wasn't from her mother or dad.

Tomorrow arrived way too quickly, and after a restless night, it was now a few hours before the competition. Rob, Pam and the family were going to attend the show and unknown to Max, her parents would also be there. They are keen to rebuild their relationship with Max.

The All-Star Competition differed slightly from other fitness events as no heats existed. Instead, many athletes attended, and the events got tougher, weights got heavier, reps increased, and the time allowed got shorter. Those who didn't reach the level were out. While preparing for the competition, athletes had been advised to train for various events, and they wouldn't know which events wouldn't be revealed until the day itself. Previous competitions consisted of deadlifts, obstacle courses, push press lifts, handstand walking, sledge pushes, rope climbs, and odd-object carries, to mention a few past events. This year's competition attracted a record number of competitors. Max had trained for as much as she could; her physique was in top shape, and her strength levels were off the page. During training at Lassie's gym, she had unofficially broken many of the competition's current records. But Max would be up against previous winners, veterans with a wealth of experience, runners and other new-blood athletes like herself.

Max had trained so hard for this moment, pushing herself to the limit daily. She had faced doubts and setbacks, but she never gave up on her dream. Max wanted to prove herself and her family and show the world her capabilities. She wanted to be the champion, a first-time champion. Max entered the arena, looking around. She saw her competitors, some of them familiar faces, some of them new. They all looked strong, confident, and determined. Max knew it would not be easy to beat them, and she would have to give it her all.

The host gave the opening speech, and the athletes from all over the world were about to take part in one of the world's most prestigious competitions. Max's nerves were all over the place; she might look calm above the water's surface, but underneath, her legs were furiously paddling away. The women in the top twenty were the most challenging competition for Max, and they were all impressive, strong competitors. If Max could beat these, she had a good chance of winning.