Cupid's Arrow

(Killing Game never happened,) 

It was February and the Ultimate's were scurrying to pick out gifts for their significant other, or in case they were single, gifts for their close friends. 

However, one Ultimate wasn't too bothered and knew she didn't have to worry about such nonsense. That was none other than Kyoko Kirigiri, the Ultimate Detective. She rarely spoke to her classmates, and if she did, it was due to class work projects. Anybody that she was close enough to consider a 'friend' would be Makoto Naegi. Even then, they hardly spoke to each other. Mostly due to Kirigiri's distance. Makoto always tried his best to greet her in the mornings, and excuse himself at the end of the day. Rarely, he would ask for assistance in Math.

So, Kirigiri didn't see the need in everyone anxiously picking out small gifts for the others. It was just another holiday she didn't really appreciate. Although, sometimes she pondered about the exhilaration someone might get when they choose a gift for a peer.  She shrugged it off, however, knowing there was no need to ponder such things.

x

February 14th. Valentine's day. It had finally arrived, and since the morning, all her classmates were exchanging gifts, from big to small. Sayaka received plenty of roses, Fujisaki received a cute teddy bear, Celestia received any gambling game she didn't own already, etc. To Kirigiri's surprise, Naegi was everyone's competition. He received many gifts, causing confusion in Kirigiri's mind. Everyone else was an Ultimate, who wasn't picked out by a lottery, so what was the case? Her eyes squinted ever so slightly, trying to analyze the situation. Many of Naegi's friends surrounded him, and handed him their gifts. Naegi blushed at the presents, and sheepishly accepted them.

She couldn't quite understand. Sure, Naegi was a wonderful boy. He was sweet, caring, respectful, gentle, and in his own way.. smart. That stopped her dead in her tracks. She was slightly irritated with herself for not acknowledging such a blatant answer. He's everyone's friend, obviously he'd receive offerings from all his peers.

Kirigiri unknowingly let out a quiet huff. Suddenly, the very own Ultimate Lucky Student snapped her from her trance.

"Hey Kirigiri! I know we're not all that close, but I saw this and it reminded me of you." Naegi explained, grinning widely at the quiet girl, before handing her a small basket. It was filled with different coffee bags, a notebook, pens, a blueberry perfume, a rose in vitro, and a small cherry blossom bouquet. 

While the gesture was extremely sweet, Naegi had made a couple of these baskets with different materials for his other close friends. Those being Aoi Asahina, Sakura Ogami, Yasuhiro Hagakure, and Sayaka Maizono. However, none of them were as detailed as Kirigiri's. His friends looking at them from afar all had smirks on their faces, which was quickly noted by Kirigiri. She ignored her peers, and turned to look at Naegi, who was nervously waiting for a response. She quickly arose from her chair, and placed her hands gently on the basket. 

"Thank you very much, Naegi. I appreciate the gesture, truly. However I do apologize for not acquiring something for you." Kirigiri thanked the shorter boy, but did feel slightly remorseful for his hard efforts and not getting anything in return. "I will keep your gesture in mind, I will repay you, Naegi."

Naegi sighed in relief, before beaming. "No need to apologize, Kirigiri! I'm just glad you liked it!" Makoto said, his voice showing his obvious excitement. He waved goodbye to her, before walking back to his friends, and they all seemed to silently celebrate Naegi's success. Kirigiri watched as Naegi walked away, and if she had been alone, she would've cracked a small smile. She sat back down, slowly and gently examining the contents that were inside the basket. 

She was mesmerized by the cherry blossoms, she'd admit that. The rose in vitro was stunning, as well. The blueberry fragrance was subtle but definitely there, which she appreciated. The notebooks and pens would come in handy for her investigations. And she heavily enjoyed her coffee, so trying out new ones didn't seem too bad. Suddenly, she felt a pang of warmth in her chest. Maybe this is why people so anxiously looked for gifts for people they care about. Who would've thought Naegi had her in such high regard? 

Seems like Eros, or Cupid had sent an arrow both their ways.

Kirigiri never felt this sensation before, and under her gloves, she slightly felt her palms get moist. She was indeed flattered by Naegi's actions, and he certainly  made her want to smile when she hadn't done that in awhile.

Although it was a new feeling, and quite confusing for the detective, she didn't quite mind it. Maybe Cupid had something in mind for the both of them.