Chapter One | Jinxed

Marinette pulled the covers over her head as the dreadful sound of her alarm blared beside her. With her knees tucked up to her chest, she slowly reached out and pressed the snooze button on her phone.

     The last thing she wanted was to get out of the safety of her room. She knew that her mother would pester her about the fate of the bakery now that summer vacation was over. Ever since her 8th grade year ended, she had been managing the bakery mostly on her own. Her father had assisted most days, but sometimes he was caught up with trying to tame her mother.

     She was the one who prepared the batter, fillings, and icing for their pastries and cakes. She was also in charge of talking to customers and keeping track of all purchases and orders. She managed to convince her mother to start giving her a portion of a days earnings a few years ago. At least she was getting something out of the work she did. However, her mother never thought it was good enough. It was especially infuriating when she pretended Marinette didn't have any responsibilities and therefore didn't have a valuable opinion. But every time she tried to bring up the fact that she mainly runs the bakery and gets paid to do so, her mother threatened to cut off their deal. So she chose to stay quiet.

     It's not like it mattered much. Now that she was going to school, her mother would have no choice but to start taking up more responsibilities in their bakery. Marinette's dad manages to get her mother to close the shop with him every night. That was pretty much the only thing she did for their business all summer. She liked her dad. But even he isn't safe from her mother's wrath.

     Despite her mother avoiding the chore of their business, she remained a fairly good baker. She would make the orders for their supplies and bake when Marinette went to school. However, she insisted on Marinette taking over most of the bakery during summers to "teach her responsibility."

     The word Marinette would use to best describe her mom was narcissistic. She cared for no one but herself, but constantly managed to make herself seem like the victim. Having to see her every morning in the kitchen was dreadful. She would go through her routine of preparing tea and breakfast for everyone. It was perhaps the only decent thing she did without having to be bribed or convinced. However, she would always make a point to insult or nag Marinette over anything she could recall from the previous day. "Yesterday's earnings were less than the day before!" "That macaron batter was way too thick! I never would have let those out the door!" "I found another dirty apron on your stairs yesterday, have you no respect for this household?" It was exhausting.

     It was too late to rest now, her alarm was going off again. The snooze button looked tantalizing, but she couldn't be late on the very first day of school.

♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪

    She bit into the croissant that she had spread with jam. Her mother had laid out some pastries with jams and fruits for toppings. She always took pride in her art, and baking was one of them. Marinette wished she took more pride in her own daughter...

     "First day of school! How are you feeling?" Tom asked from behind her. Marinette jumped in surprise.

     She brushed her banges out of her eyes and tapped her nails on the table. "Not looking forward to another year with Chloé Bourgeois," she sighed. Tom placed his hand on his daughter's shoulder before she shifted away from him.

     "You never know, she might be in a different class this year!" her father smiled.

     Marinette sighed. "Don't jinx me, dad," she said clearing her plate and grabbing her backpack. Her father stood in front of her.