Chapter Four | Daggers

Adrien lashed out as the blindfold was removed from his face and mouth. He was sitting in a chair in a very nicely furnished room. There was a hand-carved table in front of him and a lit fireplace in the wall beyond. The walls had a dark red patterned wallpaper with black accents. All of the furniture fit the red, black, and gold theme.

Behind him, there were the same two people that had abducted him off of the street.

"What the hell is this?" he shouted. He tried to move from the chair, but his entire body was tied down. He tried to scoot the chair, but someone grabbed the back of his neck and forced him to sit still.

"Stay, kitty," they whispered. Adrien shook them off and glared into the dark eyes carved out off the mask. Adrien could get a clearer view of the symbol on their foreheads in the candlelight. The only part of it he recognized was a giant "X" covering the symbol.

"Who are you? Do you have any idea who I am?" he spat. One of the people chuckled.

"We don't care who you are, kitty. All we do is follow orders and get paid, got it?" Adrien scoffed.

"That's what this is? Some kind of ransom? What, you want my father's money?" The people laughed.

"Trust me, we don't want your daddy's pocket change." Adrien stared wide-eyed as the people continued to laugh. He didn't know why, but he felt a strong urge to defend his father. He stopped himself from getting aggressive, he had no idea who these people are or what they were capable of. And his father certainly didn't deserve his defense.

Several minutes passed in the silence. Adrien thought of trying to escape, but the stress of the situation had made his mind foggy. He could barely remember what exactly had gotten him in this situation in the first place.

     He was supposed to be asleep as Nathalie walked away from his door and into her room. However, his mind was preoccupied with the stress of the coming school year. He opened his window and snuck out of his house, hoping that a walk would help clear his head. Mostly, he wanted to sort through his feelings about the whole situation. On one hand, he resented his father for trying to "distract" Adrien from his grief. On the other, he was ecstatic about the girl who he got to sit next to.

"Marinette..." he remembered Mrs. Bustier saying. It was such a beautiful name, and it suited her well. He shook his head. I'm a celebrity, if I were to date her, it would expose her to all kinds of attention. Not to mention he didn't even know if she liked him back. Heck, I hardly even know her! He walked with his head low as he tried to mentally prepare for the coming days.

Suddenly, a pair of hands grabbed him and forced him to the ground. He caught a glimpse of a black mask with a red symbol before another stepped up to cover his face in fabric.

     Minutes passed as Adrien recalled the night, or previous night? He wasn't sure what time it was, everything was such a blur. The feeling of being shoved into the floor of a car, the sound of muffles and movement from inside the trunk, and the harsh hands that dragged him into this strange building. He was exhausted.

     His thoughts were interrupted by a short old man entering the room.

     "I apologize for making you wait. I had another person to meet with. Such lovely selections this time around."

     The man's face was old and wrinkled, but it seemed somewhat sinister. His hair was a dark gray, but his majestic clothing suited him. He came and sat in the wooden chair on the other side of the table and faced Adrien. He felt the people behind him bow.

     "Sir Supreme," they chanted in unison. The old man nodded an acknowledgment. He looked Adrien up and down for a few moments, making him feel self conscious. This is no way how someone of my status should be seen. How dare they abduct me off the street!

     "I'm sure you are wondering why you are here," the man asked in an old wise voice. Adrien looked down at the floor, refusing to make eye contact. "We have been observing you for some time. I have noticed that you in desperate need of something. Like respect from your father, and for the return of your mother." Adrien met his stare, wide-eyed.

     "M-My mother?" The 'Supreme' nodded slowly. Adrien shook his head. He's just making stuff up, he's trying to take advantage of me! He thinks I'm a fool! "Look, whatever you think you can get out of me and my family it's not going to work. My father has some very powerful connections, and I would not want to mess with him," Adrien mumbled. The 'Supreme' laughed.

     "Well, whatever power you think your father has, I have ample more. My friends aren't the only ones in high places, I am the single highest power among them. Without a connection to me, you are nothing," he finished. Adrien scowled. I am nothing? Everyone knows me, everyone has heard of me, and I have never seen this old man in my life! He couldn't fathom someone like him being so "important" yet so unheard of. His family had so much power over Paris, it's unthinkable to say that they were nothing.

     "Just tell me what this is about," Adrien said emotionlessly. He didn't want this 'Supreme' guy to know how terrified and angry he was. All he could think about was how worried Nathalie and his bodyguard would be when they saw he wasn't home. He needed to escape, and soon.

     "I want to give you an offer. A deal of sorts. You give me something I want, and in return, I will give you something you are desperately needing." Adrien felt his heart in his throat. He couldn't help but remember the man referring to his mother, and what exactly that meant.

     "Earlier, when you mentioned my mother, what does that mean?" The 'Supreme' leant down and picked up a black box. He opened it towards himself, allowing Adrien to get a good look at the massive symbol over the lid. It looked like the one that was on the masks of the people behind him, but different. There wasn't an "X" over the center, which allowed him to get a clear view of the swirling pattern in the center and the decorative shapes along the edges. It appeared to be ancient yet timeless.

     Slowly, the man pulled a black ring from the box. There was a bright green paw print on one side. He widened his eyes as the man set the box to the side and reached out his hand. He beckoned Adrien with his fingers. Carefully, he reached out and put his hand in the aged fingers of the man. Slowly, he slid the ring onto Adrien's ring finger. It fit perfectly.

     "This powerful jewel is called a Miraculous. Within it, a powerful creature that, when the magical words are spoken, will give the wearer superhuman abilities."

     As soon as the man had spoken, the ring ejected some sort of swirling light. Adrien squinted as the light faded to reveal a small black creature that resembled a cat. But there was the strange "X" symbol again, except this time, it was over the mouth of the creature.

     "This is your Kwami, Plagg. He is the Kwami of destruction. When he is summoned, he will grant his wearer a disguise and a very powerful ability. If you wish to call upon him, you must say the words 'Claws Out...'"

     "Plagg, claws out!" Adrien shouted.

     The Supreme sat with a blank stare. Adrien turned to Plagg, who was motionless. Where are my powers? Where is my disguise? Adrien writhed in the chair angrily. I just want to get out!

     "I had a feeling you might do that, but I decided to test you just in case. The only way this will work is if you cooperate, understand?" the man said, his voice hardening. Adrien took a deep breath.

     "Okay."