Let the 73rd Hunger Games Begin!

The light blinds me as I emerge into the arena.
'Bu- bump. Bu- bump,' I can hear my heart beating as the speakers announce, "Let the 73rd Hunger Games begin, may the odd be ever in you favour."

'10!'
Looking around, I spot Yvette. She's 3 people down from me.

'9!'
There's a forest to my left.

'8!'
There's a beach to my right.

'7!'
I see Ezra across the field from me, on the other side of the Cornucopia.

'6!'
I search the grass in front of me for a bag with a weapon I can use.

'5!'
There's a bag that's not too far.

'4!'
It has an axe.

'3!'
'Alright, get ready.'

'2!'
'For Cory.'
Ready.

'1!'
I take a deep breath in, 'For Finnick.'
Steady.

The gun booms.
'GO!'

I leap off my podium. My feet land on the grass. My legs move swiftly as I run. My eyes lock onto that bag with the axe. I dodge people left a right. I run as fast as I can towards the bag. My heart races. Palms sweat. I bend down while running and swing the bag over my back, and grab the axe and turn around. I see Yvette being pinned down by another tribute. My chest tightens and my heart drops into my stomach. I run towards her. But someone else gets there first.

'Grey,' I let out a quick sigh of relief as I continue running towards them. I pick Yvette up off the ground and pull her behind me as I figure out what to do. Grey is wrestling the other tribute. Grey has a spear which the other tribute is using to hold himself up. He makes a fist to punch Grey as he pins him to the ground. I swing the axe at the tribute. As it plunges into his back, his blood splatters onto my shirt. He let's out a loud scream in pain as his body is split in half. I pull the axe from the bone in his back. I swing it at him again, I hear the cannon go off. He's dead. Someone else leaps onto me, pushing me on to the ground. I feel the axe slip out of my hand. I can feel the prickley grass on my back as I try to grab my axe. One of my arms is across my body and the other I reaching for the weapon, and the tribute has her full body weight pushing down on both my arms, pinning them down. A fist swiftly hits my face, launching it the other way. I see Yvette, she tries to push off the girl attacking me but falls onto the ground. I feel another fist hit my face.

"RUN! I'll find you later! Run!" I shout at Yvette.
"No!" She pants.
"Go! I'll be fine!"
My face swings back towards her and I watch as she gets up and starts bolting towards the forest. I feel another fist slam into my face. Still reaching for the axe, I hear the girl scream as she is forced off my body. She has a deep gash in her back. I grab the axe and swing it at her head, with as much force as I can. Another cannon goes off. I look up at Grey standing above me with the spear in hand.

"Come on, let's go!" He says, picking me up off the ground, "we need to go this way, it's the way Yvette went," he tells me as we run towards the forest.
"Wait, wait, where's Chrys!?" I ask, trying to catch my breath.
"We'll find her later. If we stay here we'll d-
"Y/N! Grey!" I hear someone shout behind us. I look back to see Chrys, she's running towards us, "go, go, go!" She shouts. We start running into the thick, green, forest.

The world starts the spin a bit and my head feels light. My legs slow down and I stops. I can see Grey and Chrys feet squeltching quickly through the muddy ground, while I hunch over trying to catch my breath.
"Wait," I pant through deep breaths. I lean against a tree as I try to breathe, "I can't go any further."
Grey flops onto the ground, "me neither," he gasps for air.
"Are these footprints?" Chrys asks, also out of breath.
"What!?" Grey sits up and walks over to her, examining the prints in the mud. "Shit! They are. Y/N, get over here." He whisper shouts.
I grip the axe and start to get up.
"Grey?" I hear someone say from above. I look up at the trees to see Yvette sticking her head out of the leaves.
"Shit, your really scared me there," Chrys says, letting out a sigh of relief.
"Sorry, but thank God you guys are ok." Yvette swiftly climbs down from the tree.
I sigh and lean back against my tree. I take off my backpack and let my body slide down the trunk. Resting my head back, I let my body rest.

Yvette hugs Grey before looking over at me, "Oh my God, are you alright? You're bleeding!?"
"Shit, are you ok?" Chrys asks as they all look at me.
I can taste blood in my mouth and down my throat. My face hurts and my cheek stings. It feels like something dripping from my nose. I wipe it with my hand. I can see the dark blood on my hand. "It's fine, just a blood nose," I tell them as I wipe my hand on a nearby leaf.
"You also have a cut on your face," Yvette tells me, "and blood dripping from your mouth," She looks at me worriedly, "does anyone have anything in their bags that would help? Is anyone else hurt?"

Grey and Chrys swing their bags off their backs and sit down to look through them. While we look through the bags, I swap weapons with Grey. I also notice that Chrys has a sword tied around her waist, as well as some throwing knives. Together, we have 3 water bottles, 2 buns, 4 scones, a bag of nuts that Yvette say are peanuts, a rope, 2 knives, 3 bandages and a bag of some berries I'd never seen. I also have some throwing knives which I give to Yvette who ties them around her with the given holder.

"What are these?" I ask, pointing at the berries, I can feel the dried blood on my face cracking as I talk.
"Mulberries, they're really good. My sister and I would go scavenging for them back home," Chrys answers me as Yvette examines the cut of my face.
"We need to wash this before putting something on it, can we use some of the water? Or is that too dangerous?" Yvette asks us.
"Can't we just wipe it with something for now and when we find water later, clean it then?" I ask her.
"I guess, it's not too bad I just don't want it to get infected," Yvette tells me.
"Ok then, we'll leave it now and deal with it later," I say, packing everything but the water bottle back into my bag. I take a sip of water and offer it to everyone else. We all have a drink before deciding to get up and keep walking.

We walk carefully on the muddy ground as we wander through the forest. We keep walking until it gets dark. As we set up camp, the sky starts to drizzle with rain. We open the water bottle that we drank from earlier so it can be filled by the rain.
"I'll keep watch for the first half of the night," I tell them.
"No, you need to sleep, you've had a bad day," Grey looks at me sternly, "I'll keep watch."
"You had a bad day too," I look at him and he tilts his head down sadly.
"I'll keep watch for half the night, both of you had it bad... I'm sorry that you had to save me," Yvette says, "and Y/N, you do need rest."
"Ok," I sigh.
"I'll keep watch the other half," Chrys tells us, "you two can keep watch tomorrow." She looks at Grey and I, "I'll keep watch first," she gets up and find a dryer spot to sit.

After wishing everyone goodnight, I lay down on the leaf beds we set up to protect us from the mud. I try to cover my entire body with my jumper so I don't get too wet. My eyes feel heavy, my face aches with pain. I close my eyes and let my mind wander. I imagine Cory watching me earlier as I killed those tributes with an axe. My heart drops into my stomach and I feel sick. 'I killed them,' a tear escapes from my eye. I hadn't really had a chance to think about it until now. I am a murder. 'I did it for Cory. For Finnick,' I tell myself as I reach my hand to the crowie shell and rub it, trying to stay awake so I can process my thoughts. I fight the tiredness until I'm too exhausted and I fall asleep.

---------------

My eyes open when my ears ear the anthem playing loudly throughout the arena. It's still raining so I keep my jumper zipped up. I sit up and look at the blue light in sky as the faces of dead children are projected. The district 3s male and female are dead. District 6s' male tribute died. All of the district 8 tributes died as well. District 9s' tributes died. And district 11s female is dead. And there they are, the district 12 tributes, the ones I killed. I look at the boys face but all I can see is his body, in half, blood and guts spewing from the deep cut. Then the girl is projected, I look over at Grey, he looks like he might be sick. I try to look at her face but everytime I see it there's an axe in her head. My axe. Because I killed her. Tears roll out of my eyes as I lay back down. 'Ezras still alive,' I think to myself.
"That's 10," I hear Chrys say, "excluding us, that's only 10. These games might be a quick one," I hear her get up and walk slowly throught the mud, "your turn." She tells Yvette. As I drift off, I hear Yvette get up and walk over to the rock.