Chapter 1

'Love is so short, forgetting is so long' - Pablo Neruda

"Hold still! We won't get this stupid thing off you if you keep moving!"

"I would. If you weren't hurting my claws!!"

"How did you even get them stuck there in the first place?"

"Beats me."

Rolling his eyes, Max bit into the pillow Chloe had her paw stuck to, and looked out the window. "Hey! Isn't that your favorite bird? Go catch it before it flies away!"

"Where?" Chloe wasted no time in running into the nearest window, looking out for a few seconds before she growled. "You got me, didn't ya?"

Max, who had the now claw-free pillow in his jaws sitting in the middle of the room, smirked. "Yep. And for the third time this week." He then let go of the pillow. "Just watch me do that to Duke, it's gonna be interesting, considering he's stayed with me and Katie no longer than a month." Chloe just shrugged and climbed into her owner's bed and got herself curled, ready to sleep.

Max's smile faded. "Do you...I don't know, wanna hang out with me and Norman? We're gonna sneak inside a theater to watch that new Sing film."

Chloe's reply was her closing her eyes.

She then heard Max sigh before his fading pawsteps.

Finally, she could go back to sleep, and maybe get a snack or three before returning to slumber.

The apartment's phone then rang from the living room.

She growled, loudly this time. In the name of nine lives, couldn't she just get a bit of happiness in life?

Still growling, she made her way towards the phone. Accidentally slipping on one of the many papers her owner had written on. Lately, she had been acting...odd. Many calls, hidding all the apartment bills inside a safe hidden in the form of a pineapple, and avoiding calls from her family (you would expect the word friends, but her owner was solitary. A thing Chloe admired from her). Once she reached the phone, Chloe decided to might as well just answer to stop the ringing. So she did so. Of course, a human answered, but not carrying any less, she hopped into the couch and closed her eyes.

"Charlotte, I know you're in there."

Chloe open her eyes, confused. Charlotte was her owner, and the voice calling wasn't any of the people she had talken to on the phone before. Eh, probably just a pranker. She closed her eyes again.

"You know I'm coming, right? Nobody can hide their phone number from someone forever. Just face it, and answer."

Now that's weird. Opening her eyes yet again, Chloe gulped nervously, and several really uncomfortable moments of silence, the phone hung up.

She frowned. Who was that person?

Night had arrived, and Chloe had found herself starring at the night sky, something she usually didn't do, still thinking about that bizarre call. She needed clues. Yes. She needed clues to make sure everything was fine and nothing else, but how?

The door knob twisting made her fur fluff with fear, but she relaxed as she realized it was just Charlotte entering. Usually, Chloe didn't walk up to her, but tonight, she did. Walking around in circles around her owner's legs. Charlotte picked her up, kissed her, and set her back down before going back to the papers, looking anxious. That shocked her, it was as if her owner barely even noticed her, something was definitely wrong. After several moments, Chloe decided to just watch and listen.

Charlotte had already been talking on the phone. "They can't! Don't they realize all the things?" There was silence, then she spoke again. "Yeah, she did." Another silence, then she spoke again. "I do not want her in my house." Charlotte then hung up and sighed. Upon seeing Chloe, she picked her up. Chloe let her owner pet her, and after what might have been a few minutes, Charlotte spoke. "...Do you ever feel scared?"

Chloe's reply was a meow.

Charlotte shook her head. "Nevermind. I'll go get your dinner ready, okay?" She then dropped Chloe to the floor and left towards their apartment kitchen, looking at the window worryingly on her way.

Now, Chloe didn't really have any favorite people, and still didn't, but owners were owners, they were...good enough.

She headed towards her owner's room and into the litter box. Making sure her paws didn't get dirty as she finally dug out the walkie talkie.

Taking a deep breath, she pressed the button. "Hey guys, I ugh...Code Red. I think my owner is being stalked."