Coriolanus | 31

Mercedes eyes widen as her posture straightens. She crosses the room ushering me into the bathroom closing the door quietly. Just like old times. I hear her heels click on the floor receding to the door swinging it open.

"Did you like my show daddy?" She purrs causing me to physically gag having to cover my mouth with my hand. She's very good at distracting men with her words I see.

"Oh bunny, I had to go to the bathroom two times during your show. I'm ready for round three." I know that voice.

"Oh, Ambrose you dirty little thing," She giggles turning into a squeal as her heel scrape against the floor and the door slams shut. There's a thud and squeak of the mattress.

"Give me a minute, let me do a line first and take a piss. I'll be back," His speech slurred.

"Wait!" She yelps. "I can't wait daddy. Lets do this first."

"What a slut you are. Hundreds of men wanting your body, touching you, and you can't wait thirty seconds for me to piss? Disgusting," He scoffs and I hear him spit.

The door to the bathroom opens up and I stay as still as I can, my back pressed against the hidden part of the shower. My heart thuds.

"Bunny we should have shower sex. I'm sure you could use one," He laughs to himself, his shuffled steps getting louder. "What the fu-"

I turn quickly seeing Ambrose already spotted me, I reel back throwing a punch hard at his face. He stumbles backwards, his back slamming into the sink. I run past him heading for the door out of her room.

"Who the hell are you?" The man rages, his voice resembles that of a drill sergeant. I turn towards him, he holds his face rushing towards me. He slowly raises his arm sloppily, but connects hard square in my face. Pain spreads quickly, seeing stars, I punch him in the stomach then his face again.

"Coriolanus stop!" Mercedes screams. While he stumbles I kick him in the stomach sending him to the ground. I straddle on top of him, pinning him down as I continue to punch him in the face repeatedly, his eyes fading with each one.

"Stop it! Stop it!" She continues screaming bloody murder.

I stand, once I know he's not getting up and spit on him this time, "If you ever fucking lay a hand on her again, I'll kill you Ravenstill. Your family could use an end to your bloodline."

"Fuck you Snow," He whimpers, rolling side to side. "You peacekeeper piece of shit. That's where all of the low lifes end up anyways."

"Mercedes come stay with me," I plead wiping my knuckles on my uniform. "You're not safe here."

She looks between Ambrose and me slowly shaking her head.

"No need," Pluribus appears from outside her door. "I've been waiting to ban this fucker since you left." He grabs at Ambrose pulling him to his feet with two security guards assisting. "As soon as I saw you go up those stairs Snow, I knew trouble would follow."

I pant, slightly relaxing as they pull him out of the room. I turn back towards Mercedes, she sits back on her heels, arms crossed over her chest and staring at the ground.

"I didn't ask for you to do that," She speaks under her breath.

"You didn't have to Des. It's what you needed," I touch my nose. "I'm coming back tomorrow to talk."

I pick my hat off of the ground this time, heading towards the door. The music from down stairs increasing in volume the closer I get.

"Wait," She requests, standing from her bed. "Will you stay with me. He's broken into my room before when I've kicked him out. I can get your nose cleaned up too," She avoids eye contact.

I'm feeling whiplash from her changes in intentions. Did Ambrose have that much of a hold on her? I nod slightly.

"I'll start a shower, did you want to take one first?" She asks sitting to remove her heels.

"You go ahead. My nose will be fine. I'll get us some water," I wiggle my nose making sure its not broken, and the bleeding has stopped. She stands becoming much smaller, more fragile. Her makeup smeared even more and her hair a tangled mess. Her bottom lip quivers as she nods, heading towards the bathroom.

I leave her room going to the kitchen on the second floor, locked by a door code. I type it in and open the door grabbing a decanter of water and two glasses and head back to her room. The club is still packed, lights changes colors and smoke filling the room. This is much different than how district 12 parties. My heart hurts at the thought of district 12. I did find peace there, with Lucy Gray. I hope I fucking killed her.

I lock Mercedes' door and begin picking up the clothes scattered on the floor and furniture, folding them and stacking them in a pile by her closet. I clear all of the cigarette buds and open the window to her room trying to clear out the smell. I find a baggie full of white powder above a half open drawer. I throw the powder in the trash and see the familiar capitol symbol on the bottom of a piece of paper in the drawer.

I look to the bathroom, the door still closed and the water running. Opening the drawer fully I slightly gasp, its all of the letters I wrote to her. Pulling them out, I'm a little embarrassed by how thick the stack is. I sort through them seeing they're in the order I wrote them. The more recent pages ripped at the edges and wrinkled with water marks spreading the ink slightly. Tears. She cried over my letters. I replace the papers and sit on her bed waiting for her return.

A minute later she emerges from the bathroom a light pink towel wrapped around her body, her face clean and hair wet. She throws me a slight smile and crosses the room to her closet pulling out a white silk slip from her infamous nightgown collection. Without a word she drops her towel bending over to wrap it around her hair and I can't look away. Her bruises fully visible extending the length of her back and a few on her legs. She slides the nightgown on and turns towards me.

"I see you picked up my room a little bit," She laughs softly. "Thank you. I know it was overdue."

I give her a smile and nod.

"You're more than welcome to take a shower. I'll see if I have some clothes for you," She rubs her temples closing her eyes.

"Thank you. I'll take you up on that offer. The water pressure on base was better than at home, but still not the best," I stand heading into the bathroom. I sigh at the thought of home and not knowing how much longer we can call it that. I can't wait to go back.