Chapter Ten

As Draco and Pansy navigated the dimly lit passageways, the soft echo of her voice enveloped him like a gentle embrace. The weight of her hand in his was a comforting anchor, grounding him amidst the labyrinthine corridors of Hogwarts. The melodic cadence of her words became a soothing melody, gradually blurring into a tranquil background noise. Draco lost track of the specifics of their conversation, succumbing to the warmth of her presence.

As their fingers remained entwined, memories of the encounter he had with Hermione in the hall flooded his mind. The longing to be close to her had consumed him for quite some time, and now that he finally had the chance, a sense of contentment washed over him, one that he couldn't recall ever experiencing before.

Draco tightened his grip on Pansy's clammy hand, feeling her warmth against his palm. She leaned into him as they came to the doorway. She hesitated, waiting for him to reach for the door, and he chuckled at how she never led. He had always teased her relentlessly for her unnecessary display of aristocratic etiquette, even when they were alone together. To him, she was flawless in her own unique way, and he longed for her parents to overcome their blindness and recognize her true worth.

Draco's lip curled into a smirk as he gestured for Pansy to proceed, bowing slightly, causing her to roll her eyes in exasperation.

"Do you want to go with me to see Theo?" Draco's question hung in the air, his hand finding her back as he leaned in as they spoke. Their gazes locked, and he struggled to unravel the profound emotions shining through Pansy's intense gaze.

"He was asleep when we left," she explained, her voice carrying a hint of weariness. "McGonagall gave him a sleeping draught when he demanded to go with us. She felt he was in no state to think rationally."

Draco's response was a thoughtful hum.

"We should let him sleep now that he finally is, and you can wait for Hermione." With a knowing smirk, she continued,"Night after night, she occupied the alcove, anxiously awaiting any updates. They were unable to determine where you had gone. Despite their inability to use magic, Kingsley had suspected that the instability in that area of the castle was probably similar to what occurred with you and Ginevra." Her hand clasped his with a newfound intensity, as if she couldn't bear the thought of him disappearing again.

"Shacklebolt is here?" Draco's interest perked up at the mention of the Minister for Magic.

"He was. He was called away, and at that point, Hermione demanded that they help with the magic encasing those hallways. McGonagall had little to say when Ron backed her up. She didn't put up much of a fight, to be honest. I think the magic is wearing her down."

The revelation of Hermione willingly putting herself into harm's way for Harry, or possibly even himself, sparked a tumultuous mix of emotions within Draco. However, the thought of Weasley quickly coming to her defence should have garnered his respect, but jealousy coiled in his stomach.

Before releasing his hand, Pansy gave it one last reassuring squeeze, and then she hesitated, appearing as if she had words on the tip of her tongue that she ultimately chose not to utter. In a tender gesture, she enveloped him in her arms, clinging to the back of his shirt with her clenched fists. He brought his hands around her, gently resting his head on top of hers. They stood there for a moment without another word spoken before she gracefully slipped away.

Draco scanned the common room and couldn't help but feel a sense of calm in the air. The hearth crackled and flickered, emitting the only warmth and light in the space. The worn-out armchairs and sofas were devoid of occupants, leaving the usually bustling chamber desolate and silent. Without the aid of magic, the concept of time had become elusive inside the confines of the castle. It left him unsure of whether it was the dead of night or the early hours of dawn. The motionless clocks caught Draco's attention, their hands forever halted at the moment the battle ensued. Intrigued, he made his way towards the ancient timepieces, tilting his head in contemplation. Draco wondered if the frozen state was a result of the dark spells that had been wreaking havoc upon the castle grounds. He previously believed the Slytherin corridors remained unaffected by the upheaval that engulfed everything else, yet the unchanging clocks within their walls proved that the protective wards were not foolproof.