Chapter 11

I don't think I slept at all, which doesn't bode well for my performance schedule this weekend. I'll be heading to Denver shortly, once I do a quick workout and eat breakfast.

I let myself replay last night one last time before I tear myself away from daydreaming.

The hand on my back.

Our private booth.

My legs on his lap.

His massive hand gripping mine.

The kiss. My god, the kiss. How is it possible that a nanosecond can cause me to lose all eight hours of sleep? It was so reckless, so hot, so ... not enough.

I grab my phone to look at the calendar, desperate to find my next open day to see him again. There's already a text from him waiting for me.

Made it back to KC. I can't stop thinking about u.

When can I see u again?

Believe me, the feeling is mutual.

I had the best time last night. Seriously.

I gotta get ready to go but I'm gonna bother Ivy for 
some good dates to see you next when we're on the plane.

Looking forward to it.
I still can't believe last night happened.

Best. Surprise. Ever.

I float out of bed to get ready for the gym. Even sleep deprivation can't kill this mood.

A few hours later, I'm aboard my jet, ready to knock out a few hours of sleep, when I remember I owe Ivy a chat.

"Thank you for setting up last night. It was ... unreal."

She looks at me over her glasses. I see her face soften when she sees how much I mean it.

"He's a charmer, that one. Tell me how it went, we need to figure out our next steps," she says, back to business.

"It was like a dream," I gushed. "Once I got over the initial shock of him being there, it was like, the best date ever. We could've talked for hours. It felt like it was just us there."

"Well, it wasn't," she replied curtly. "I've already fielded several requests for comments about possible sightings last night."

"Fuck, can you please bury them? For now? This is only a few days old," I plead.

"Girl, you know I already did," she says with a smirk. "But I can't bury them forever. When you're ready to take the next step, we'll have to plan an elaborate hard launch."

Hard launch for a relationship that is exactly two phone calls and one nanosecond kiss long? Great, I think to myself.

I decide now is not the right time to bring up seeing Ben again. I know she'd move mountains for me, but it really is a lot of work for me to date on the down-low.

I head back to the private room for a nap. I'm too tired to enjoy my favorite kiss replay, and fall asleep instantly. I don't move until a flight attendant politely knocks on the door and lets me know we'll be landing soon.

Once we land in Denver, I'm immediately shuttled to Empower Field for sound check. We'll also do a quick dance rehearsal to see if we have to make any adjustments for altitude. Three hours of singing and dancing is hard enough, doing it a mile above sea level is potentially dangerous.

I'm so tired but I have to persevere for my team, the dancers, the musicians, and the fans. My dancers know me far too well, so if I slip up or seem out of sorts, they will immediately question me.

I make it through. Somehow.

In my hotel suite, I'm greeted with a full spread of nutritionist-approved proteins and pastas. I have to carbo-load while also not get bloated, it's a delicate balance.

After eating, I head to my room, determined to get a good night's sleep ahead of my show tomorrow. I say good night to Nick and the team who will hold down the fort while I dream of Ben and my own songs stuck in my head.

I shower and get ready for bed, slather on a bunch of skin care products, and tuck myself into the King-sized bed. I scroll Instagram and TikTok for a bit before I'm interrupted by a text from Ben.

Wyd?

Just winding down for the night, you?

Did u know Colorado and Kansas are next to each other?

lol yes, I'm aware.

Did u also know that I'm here?

HERE here??

Ha yeah. Can you call security and let them know I'll meet them out back?

I mean

As long as that's ok with u?

Ben Archer, you've done it again. Two nights in a row.

I'll let them know!!!

Cool see u in a min.

I text shoot a text to Nick. Ivy's gonna kill me.

I freeze for a moment when I realize what is about to happen.

He's coming to my room.

Where we will be alone.