Loss of a Friend (Slimefoot's POV) [EDITED]

I jolted awake in the middle of the night, panting. My rest had been interrupted by a worse-than-usual nightmare of my kits snarling and attacking me. I had been yowling, "I didn't do it! I didn't do it!" with a dead cat in front of me. Only Smallpaw had taken my side.

 Moletail was sleeping deeply beside me, her back moving with the steady rise and fall of her breathing. I carefully got up, careful not to wake her. I made my way into the center of camp. At the entrance, Oatstone was sitting down, guarding it.

 In a little corner, Mouseclaw was sleeping as well. She didn't seem to be having a good night, either. She was fidgeting and murmuring like she couldn't find a comfortable sleeping position. Except she was asleep.

 I had no opinion on what Mouseclaw had done. She had done something awful, but Firefang and Pinestar weren't sunshine and rainbows.

 But Bramblestar wasn't exactly an improvement. 

 I yawned and made my way back to the den. I curled up and closed my eyes, ready to try to have good night's rest.

***

 "Get up, she-cat!" a tom's voice growled.

 I groaned and opened my eyes, seeing that Darkleg was looming over me. The sun was casting its first feeble rays.

 "Bramblestar wants you," he said.

 I knew no choice but to obey, so I got up and sleepily padded to Bramblestar's den.

 "Slimefoot," he greeted curly.

 "You wanted me?" I asked.

 Bramblestar gazed at me, his eyes unreadable. "I did."

Silence.

"I'm here now," I said.

 He cleared his throat. "Yes. Smallpaw came to me earlier and said that I had to make him a warrior."

 I nodded wordlessly.

 Bramblestar got up and paced in his den. "I told him that I wouldn't make him a warrior unless Starclan themselves ordered me to."

 I nodded again, not seeing where this was going.

 "He then told me I was making a big mistake."

 I fought the urge to strangle him.

"I told him that he obviously needed someone to control him. So, I'm putting you in charge of educating him."

 I took a deep breath. "My son doesn't need education."

"My word is law, she-cat," Bramblestar said coldly. "And you'll see soon enough. Now get out. I must speak with my deputies and executors."

I walked out, fuming. How dare he do such things! He was so arrogant, so full of himself, so-

"Hello, Slimefoot!" Moletail said to me.

"Oh, hey Moletail," I said.

We heard the raised voice of Cowfat, and as we turned, we saw her yelling at Mouseclaw.

"Let me settle that," said Moletail. She padded away to calm the tense situation.

I whipped around, determined to speak with Smallpaw. I saw him changing the moss of the warrior den.

"Hello, Mother," he said sourly.

"Listen, I'm glad he assigned you to me!" I said brightly. "All I have to do is pretend to be angry once in a while and then you can go on living a normal life!"