forty-nine

a/n: 5k reads ??? y'all are MENTALLY ILL (seriously tho tysm i just hit like 4k reads a week ago this is crazy) also warning this chapter is super short i'm sorry i'm sorry i mightttt have another out within the next few hours

Wilbur

I wake up alone. Eve slept with Sofia again, so at least I can sleep on her pillow and smell her. Still, I reach out to the other side of the bed, only wanting to hold her.

I check my phone, seeing I woke up pretty early for the first time ever. After scrolling for a bit, I force myself out of bed. I walk into the kitchen where Sofia is brewing some coffee.

"Hey," I mumble, grabbing cereal from the cabinet.

"Morning," She replies.

"Is Eve still mad at me?"

Sofia turns and gives me a soft smile. "Dude, come on."

"What?" I groan, leaning against the counter. "What do I need to do?"

She sighs as she stirs sugar in her drink. "I'm only telling you this because I think you two are super cute together, so just act like you came up with this and I said nothing. All she wants is a sincere apology and some flowers. I'd surprise her with it when she wakes up."

I curl my lip. "But it's raining."

Sofia rolls her eyes. "That'll prove even more that you actually care! But don't take my advice if you wanna keep sleeping alone."

I just nod. "Right, thanks." I put the cereal back and go into our room, pulling a heavy raincoat over my hoodie and changing from shorts to sweatpants. I grab my wallet then keys before putting my keys back down with a sigh, realizing my car is in the shop. I just pull my hood up and decide to fight through it, knowing that being in Eve's good graces again is worth it.

Right when I step outside, the wind nearly knocks me over. My hood is no use, my whole head immediately soaked. I run down the block to the nearest grocery store and catch my breath as I step inside. I walk over to the flowers and grab a giant bouquet of lavender, knowing they're her favorite. I tried growing my own to give her, but they quickly died. I also grab her a pint of ice cream she's been craving then check out, doing my best to put the flowers in a bag without damaging them.

I run back to the apartment building, nearly slipping multiple times. Thankfully, I make it back in one piece, except I'm ten pounds heavier with all this rain. The second I'm in the door, I kick off my shoes and throw my useless coat down on the floor. I see Eve standing in the kitchen, grabbing a bottle from the medicine cabinet.

Her eyes widen as she turns and sees me. "Oh my God, Will!"

I step over to her and glance at the medicine in her hand. "Are you alright?"

She shrugs. "I have the stomach bug. Why were you out in the rain?"

I open up the grocery bag and hand her the lavender. "I got these for you. And some ice cream."

A wave of relief washes over me as she breaks into a smile. "Thank you, baby."

I lean down and kiss her, desperately missing her lips. I grab her waist and pull her closer to me, needing to kiss her for hours and hours to makeup for the last couple of days, but she steps back after a few seconds.

"Go dry off. You're gonna be sick tomorrow."

I press my forehead against hers. "Today, I take care of you, and tomorrow, you'll take care of me. Deal?"

She giggles and gives me a quick kiss. "Deal."

Later that night, Eve and I are cuddling in her bed. I'm drunk and sluggish while she's high, claiming it's helping her nausea. We're watching some dumb movie on her TV, constantly giggling at how awful it is. My head rests on her chest, her legs tangled around mine and her hand in my hair.

The movie ends and Eve turns her TV off. I lean up and stare down at her with a goofy smile. "I love you so much."

She licks her lips with a grin. "I love you more."

"Impossible."

"Very possible, I think."

I chuckle and press my nose against hers, lowering my voice to a whisper. "I wanna marry you."

"What?" She asks, her eyebrows furrowing together.

"I mean, not now. But one day." I tell her. "I don't want to be with anyone else. And I don't wanna break up with you again or have to go through the process of falling in love with someone new again. I want it to be just you. Sweet, incredible, gorgeous, you."

Eve's eyes become glossy as she moves my hair out of my eyes. "Oh, William. How did I get this far in life without you?"

I reply with a smirk. "No idea,"