00. 𝘤𝘩𝘪𝘭𝘥 𝘰𝘧 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘩𝘦𝘢𝘷𝘦𝘯𝘴

"𝐃𝐎 𝐘𝐎𝐔 𝐔𝐍𝐃𝐄𝐑𝐒𝐓𝐀𝐍𝐃 𝐖𝐇𝐀𝐓 𝐈'𝐌 𝐒𝐀𝐘𝐈𝐍𝐆, 𝐀𝐃𝐎𝐍𝐈𝐒?"

The young boy, now identified as Adonis, stood across the counter from the speaker, his head propped up by his hand as he looks forward.

"I understand all too well, but that fails to change anything."

He rolled his eyes as he spoke, discontent laced thoroughly throughout his words.

The two boys stood together in a store, the darkness outside fought off by the light from the ceiling fan in the center of the small space, the clock ticking as each second goes by, reading 11:38 pm in  a digital red coloring.

One of the boys wore a hoodie and sweatpants—his hands inside his pant pockets—while the other sported a black polo, a nametag on the front that read ADONIS, in all caps.

"I'll ask you once again, because I don't think you fully understand-"

"I said I do. I'm not going to Europe with you. I can't leave my sister."

The boy infront of him sighs as he pinches the bridge of his nose in frustration, turning as he pulls his hood on.

"Fine then. Enjoy this backwater lifestyle you live, Saint."

The ring of the bells on the door sound as it opens and closes swiftly, leaving Adonis by himself in the store, a sigh leaving the boys' mouth as he opens the register, taking the money out and counting.

The clock ticks are louder than even as he whispers to himself, the noise of paper sliding against eachother reaching his ears while he counts.

"5"

Tick

"10"

Tock

"15"

Tick

"20"

Tock

𝐀𝐃𝐎𝐍𝐈𝐒 𝐒𝐀𝐈𝐍𝐓 was a man who's life had been riddled with misfortune since he was conceived.

Even since birth he had been looked at differently from the rest of his peers, the main factor being his colored eyes, one a bright gold, and one white.

His mismatching eyes made him easy to pick on, but it wasn't anything irregular. Young children were always known to be extremely mean.

He was bullied harshly throughout his early days, picked on and made fun of. But he never let it truly get to him. He was always happy regardless, and his family—his parents and his older sister—were easily the reason for this.

It's just that, it's so maddening how quickly, in just a moment, someone's life can be turned on its head.

When he was at the mere age of five, he lost his parents to a brutal car crash.

He, his sister, and his mother were the only ones to survive the initial crash, A fate that differed from his father's.

There he stood, his small eyes widened as he watched at his bloodied mom lay in the bed, her now frail body hooked up to so many machines, that she looked like a puppet with all those wires connected to her.

"Please, donny, live your life... And remember, no matter what anyone says... you're a child of the heavens."

The last words he ever heard escape his mother's mouth, a phrase she loved to tell him when he came home with tear-stained cheeks—a common occurence, the bullies weren't very kind.