First Contact - Part 2

Lucina knocked on the door three times. She looked around at the neverending forest that surrounded her. It had been ages since she had last seen it, she barely recognized the foliage anymore. The lack of response made her knock again.

"Merlin, I know you're in there!" She yelled at the door. "It's me Luci- I mean, Sir Luke!" Lucina made sure her tone indicated the massive air quotes that surrounded her fake name. The mention of it seemingly awoke whatever was inside as she heard it rumble and tumble towards the door. A bundle of blue robes and gray hairs opened the door.

"If you're here to complain about the helmet, I assure you I made it correctly!" The person responded. Their voice resembling that of a frail old man. Lucina flashed a smile underneath her helmet to her friend.

"I would not be so foolish as to complain about anything the great Merlin made!" She bowed at the wizard. "I'm here on other business. May I come in?". The short wizard looked around, searching for any unwanted eavesdroppers. Satisfied, they waved their hand directing Lucina to head inside. She promptly followed the command.

The inside of the cottage could be described in one word: Overflowing. Stacks of books adorned it from the floor to the ceiling while a large cauldron sat atop the lone fireplace, filled with a liquid that was constantly changing colors. An innumerable amount of herbs and potions occupied any spot left. The walls were painted with runes and decorated with protection charms over them. And finally, a single chicken roosted next to the flame, taking comfort in its warmth.

"What can I do for you, sir knight?" Asked the wizard as they tried to clear up enough space for both of the current inhabitants of the house to be able to walk.

"To start," Lucina began, as she took off her helmet revealing her true face and voice. "I'd like to see my real friend... Marilyn." The wizard let out a singular chuckle as she snapped her fingers. Suddenly, the bundle of clothes transformed into an elaborate dress and the person wearing it became an exceptionally beautiful woman. Her silver beard untangled itself, revealing it as a silky, smooth and lengthy mane. A plethora of ornate golden rings made their way into each of her fingers, the show of magic being capped by a large blue wizard hat materializing atop her head. Lucina gave her a small round of applause.

"Look who's talking, darling" Marilyn announced as she patted her dress to remove bits of dust that had accumulated on top of it. With another snap, a long pipe shot towards her hand, lighting itself automatically for the wizard to take a drag. "It's you who hasn't come around to visit me in forever!" As she spoke, smoke flooded out of her mouth. "I was starting to think you had forgotten about me..."

"As if!" Lucina assured as she walked towards Marilyn to envelop her in a tight embrace. "I'm sorry Mary, the whole Asmodeus thing took a lot longer than I thought and then... Well, it's kind of a long story."

The wizard broke the embrace. "Long story? I love long stories!" She admitted as she pulled out her glimmering wand from her thigh strap. She waved it around, emitting a shiny powder from it commanding a pair of chairs and a small table to walk towards both of the women, pushing Lucina into a sitting position. Before she knew it, they were both sitting by the fire with a cup of tea in their hands.

"You really need to tell me before you do that." Lucina reprimanded the smiling wizard. "And while I would love to regale you with all the details, I am afraid I am in a bit of a hurry so I'll stick to the broad strokes... I got engaged a week ago." The sudden revelation caused Marilyn to choke on the smoke of her pipe.

"Engaged?!" She asked befuddled. "You mean... like engaged engaged?"

"Yes, engaged engaged"

"To be wed."