15. Ice Cold, Yet Still Warm - Stiles

There’s a feeling at the lake, it’s hard to describe, but it feels like the whole word is sleeping. The trees brush against each other, the grass dances in the breeze and the lake water is perfectly still —sleeping. 

Which, yeah, probably isn’t right. Water should ripple when it’s windy right? And lap against the banks, crashing against the wooden posts underneath us. But instead it remains still. Untouched. Like a liquid mirror.

Percy crouches over the edge of the boards, reaching down to touch the water. I pull him back quickly. I don’t think anyone should touch the water, let alone go swimming in it. There’s something —in there. Waiting.

“Let’s all sit in the boat shed,” I decided. “It looks like rain anyway, it’ll be easier to watch the lake without being wet and cold.”

The floor of the shed is covered in a thick layer of dust and there’s a clear imprint from Liam and Scott’s shoes. Several metal shelves are bolted to the walls where the canoes used to sit, and a fishing table runs along the length of the wall. 

“I found some chairs,” Scott calls out, and he comes out of the dark back corner of the room with four fishing chairs. “Careful for spiders when you open them.”

I grimace, holding mine away from my body as it folds open. Thankfully, it’s bug free. Sitting it against the wall under the racks, I drop down into it and sit my backpack on the floor beside it. 

Percy has left his opened opposite me, where he’s closer to the water than the rest of us, but he’s standing at the large support beam in the middle of the room. Deep gouges have been made in the wood in three large stripes, along with indents from a chain that’s been long since removed. 

Liam snorts when he notices what Percy’s looking at, before rushing to hide the noise with a weird cough. He returns to staring out at the water and eating lollies from a bag of Party Mix. 

“What are these from?” Percy asks, tracing a finger over the largest line. 

“Lydia’s dog.”

His eyebrows fly up. “I thought Lydia had one of those small yappy dogs?”

“She does,” Scott agrees. “But Prada is a mad dog, she gets crazy when she’s hungry.”

Percy laughs, turning away from the post without a backwards glance. He settles into his own seat and pulls out a bag of his Mum’s blue choc chip biscuits. I’ve always wondered why they’re blue. Is it a personal choice, or does it make the biscuit taste better? I need to eat one, honestly. 

“Did everyone bring food but me?” Scott says, suddenly. He looks between the three of us, like he expected me not to bring food on a night long stakeout. I need fuel to keep me going okay? These sour gummy worms are my gasoline.

I held the plastic bag out to him, “it’s okay Scottie, you can have some of mine.” Scott grins, snatching out a handful. “Oh, and there’s chips on the floor of the passenger's seat if you want.”

“Dude, why didn’t you say that earlier?”

Liam waits until Scott’s out the door before holding up a green bag he’d stashed away in his bag, “I already took them.”

I huff a laugh, before laughing full on when Scott runs back in and tackles Liam to the floor –knocking his chair over and reaching for the chips. They roll about for a minute, messing up the dust and losing most of the chips on the floor.

Then Scott pops up triumphant, “you can’t beat me, Dunbar. Maybe one day, when I’m eighty years old..” He struts back to his chair, snacks on a few before offering some to Liam.