Haseena

◍⁠•𝐇𝐀𝐒𝐄𝐄𝐍𝐀'𝐒 𝐏𝐎𝐕•⁠◍

I woke up with a start, feeling cold and lonely. I looked around the bed, but I didn't see Anubhav. He was gone. I wondered where he had gone.

I got up from the bed and walked towards the balcony. I saw the sunlight peeking through the curtains, and felt a sudden urge to breathe the fresh air. I opened the curtains and stepped outside. I saw a beautiful view of the garden and the sky. I felt a sense of peace and calm.

But then, I saw something that shattered my peace and calm. I saw Anubhav sleeping on the swing in the balcony. He looked peaceful and calm, too. He had a blanket wrapped around him, and a pillow under his head. He had a slight smile on his face, and a faint snore in his breath.

"Yeh Mr Singh yaha kyu so rahe hai?" I asked myself, feeling confused and curious. Why was he sleeping on the swing, and not on the bed? Why did he leave me alone, and not tell me anything? Why did he look so happy, and not bothered by anything?

Then, I remembered something that made me feel embarrassed and guilty. I remembered my usual habits, which I had developed in the orphanage. Whenever someone slept next to me, I would rock them or kiss them in my sleep. I did that to feel loved and secure, as I had no one else to love me or protect me. I did that to everyone, without knowing or caring who they were.

I realized that I must have done that to Anubhav, too. I must have cuddled up to him, and touched him and kissed him. I must have made him feel uncomfortable and restless. I must have made him leave the bed, and sleep on the swing.

"Isse pehle yeh Devil uth kar mujhe kuch bole, mai bhag jaati hoon yaha se." I said to myself, feeling scared and ashamed. I knew that Anubhav would scold me, or mock me, or ignore me. I knew that he would not understand, or forgive, or appreciate me.

I quickly got fresh and changed my clothes. I went downstairs, hoping to avoid him and his anger. I hoped to see Aarush, and spend some time with him. I hoped to see everyone, his family, and act normal.

But as soon as I reached the stairs, I saw that everyone was already downstairs.

I tried to hide my feelings and put on a smile. I walked towards them and greeted them. I picked up Aarush in my arms and wished him good morning. He just smiled at me, without saying anything.
I put him down and turned to everyone.

I was about to say something, when chachi asked me where Anubhav was. She said that he usually woke up early. She sounded curious and concerned. I paused for a moment, thinking of what to say. I couldn't tell them the truth, that Anubhav had slept on the swing because I had disturbed his sleep at midnight. I couldn't tell them that, because it would cause a lot of trouble. It would hurt Anubhav, and embarrass me.

So I lied to them. I said that he was still sleeping, and that he would come soon.

"So rahe hai. Jaldi aa jayenge." I said, hoping they would believe me.

They nodded and accepted my lie. They said that they understood, and that they would wait for him. They said that they had a great morning, and that they enjoyed each other's company.

I was playing with Aarush, when I hear my phone ringing. Chachi tells me that it is my phone, and I quickly grab it. I see that it is Nisha, my best friend, calling me. I tell chachi to look after Aarush for a while, and she agrees.

"Chachi, aap thodi der Aarush ko dekhiye, mai baat kar leti hoon." I say, and run to Aarush's room, where no one is there.

I answer the phone and hear Nisha shouting at me, asking me where I am. She says that she has been waiting for my call since morning, but I didn't call her. She says that I probably forgot that today is her birthday. I feel a little guilty, how can I forget her birthday? She is my best friend, and I love her.