Purple

A month had passed since the union of Adrian and Ariel. Nights unfolded with an intricate dance of limbs, encapsulating the warmth of their connection. Adrian, an ardent lover, seized each night to express his affection for Ariel. Yet, beneath the surface of intimacy and sexual endeavors, Ariel harbored a disquieting sentiment. His demonstrations were confined to the night, a concern amplified by his early departure from bed before her awakening. Parting gestures took the form of dry cheek kisses and lip pecks, punctuating their farewells with a casual "see you later." They ventured out for dinner on occasions, yet an unspoken unease lingered.

Ariel grappled with self-reproach, recognizing her tendency to idealize post-marriage life and suspecting that her expectations might be the root of her discontent. Despite timely returns and shared dinners with animated discussions about their days, the elusive element persisted. Ariel grappled with this intangible void, repeatedly admonishing herself for perceived overthinking.

One morning, Ariel abruptly rushed to the washroom, relieving the contents of her stomach. This had been the second consecutive day, and her moodiness and overall discomfort were palpable. Attributing it to a potential stomach bug, she rose, rinsed her mouth, and dutifully took her daily birth control pill. Although not prone to frequent illness, the persistent stomach troubles raised concern, prompting Ariel to contemplate the need for antibiotics. She resolved to consult her physician later in the day.

Descending the stairs, she found Adrian already attired for the office. Offering a kiss on his cheek, she greeted him, "Good morning, Addy." His response was a warm smile and a reciprocal, "Good morning, Cherry. How are you?" Perplexed by his apparent lack of awareness regarding her recent bout of sickness, she mustered a smile and replied, "I'm okay. I'm planning to visit my physician in the afternoon for a routine checkup after my dance session, alright?" Adrian nodded in agreement, "Sure, darling. Keep me posted on what the doctor says, okay?" Ariel affirmed, "I will, Addy," as they prepared for their respective engagements.

A poignant stillness enveloped Dr. Samuel Bowden's office as Ariel sat facing him, coming to terms with the revelation he had just shared-she was pregnant. The reality eluded Ariel; birth control had been her unwavering routine since she was 16, and not once had she faltered. Be it turmoil or hail, she religiously took that little white pill every day. Especially after her wedding, she had been exceptionally cautious, not desiring a child so early in her marriage. She intended to spend time with Adrian, to get to know him better before embarking on parenthood. The fact that she did not know how he would react was a secondary concern; right now, she did not know how she should react.

Dr. Bowden observed the young woman, not significantly younger than himself, and remarked, "Ariel, I understand this is unplanned, and it's very early. You have options." He spoke candidly, avoiding a delicate approach. Ariel acknowledged these options but knew she couldn't make this decision alone. It was her body, and she should have the liberty to choose. Yet, she felt Adrian deserved to know, and she was uncertain about the decision herself. This was not just her child; it was their child. She needed to discuss it with Adrian, sleep on the news, and decide after careful consideration.

Upon leaving the doctor's office, Ariel struggled with her thoughts. Waiting at home, she pondered how her husband would react. As he entered their home at 6 p.m. and saw the paleness on her wife's face, Adrian could sense something amiss. He sat beside her and inquired about her physician's visit. Ariel took a deep breath and uttered the words, "Adrian, I am pregnant." The room fell silent.

A profound silence enveloped the room for a few moments, a momentous pause that left Ariel bewildered. Then, a miraculous transformation unfolded before her eyes. Adrian, her husband, wore a genuine, joyous smile - not a smug smirk but a radiant expression, accentuated by the appearance of his dimple. He laughed, smiled again, and laughed once more. Ariel observed him in wonder, witnessing an unexpected surge of happiness that seemed to surpass any pleasure he had experienced before. He looked at her and picking her up, kissed her deeply, and expressed his overwhelming joy.