Part 14 - Memories of a Distant Past

A/N: I happened to be inspired by a TikTok specifically using some lyrics from "Not Strong Enough", so I guess this is just going to be an emotional chapter cuz ya girl is lowkey going through it.

================================================================================

Memories have a funny way of haunting you when you least expect them. It was another day in Alvarez. Natsu was busy spoiling Happy rotten while the Spriggan 12 were raiding the kitchens, and destroying the training grounds. The rest of the dragon slayers were busy following Natsu around. Zeref was left alone in his study reading a book that had captured his interest. Zeref closed the book and took a deep breath as he closed his eyes, he had to call for a meeting soon. A giggle erupted from the corner of his room causing his eyes to shoot open and for him to frantically look around. There was nobody in there, his exhaustion was catching up to him.

He left his study and began to walk towards his bed chambers somewhat paying attention to his surroundings. He froze as he saw a girl with blonde hair run past him. Zeref felt a tear fall from his eye as his hand reflexively reached out toward the girl. He blinked his eyes, and the girl was gone from his sight. He took a deep breath and shook his head before continuing back to his bed chambers. When he finally arrived he practically threw himself onto his bed and let a sigh leave his mouth before he dozed off.

X686

He had been bathing in the forest, he'd have to leave this place soon. He let his body sink underneath the water, maybe Ankhseram decided to be nice to him and thus let him die. He heard a soft humming from the water's edge. The humming reminded him of his mother, oh how he missed her, and how he missed Natsu. He knew Natsu would be safe, he had been transported into the future and they would meet when the time was right. Zeref emerged from the water after a few minutes and heard a small gasp, he turned and saw a blonde girl staring at him with wide eyes. "What are you doing here? Leave." He said in a cold tone as he stared blankly at the girl.

The girl shook her head, "why should I leave? This forest  doesn't belong to anyone and I just arrived here." She said with a small pout.

"If you want to stay alive then you will leave," Zeref said as he emerged from the water conjuring his clothes onto his body.

"What do you mean?" The girl asked as she tilted her head.

"Because everything around me dies," Zeref said in a blunt tone as he killed all the plants around him, this should scare the random girl into leaving.

"Ankhseram Black Magic." The girl said as she looked at him in awe. Zeref was surprised that she knew this. "Have been here long?" She asked him.

"No, I wander from place to place. Because of this curse, I can't be around people. I have to go and I'm sorry for scaring you." Zeref said in a quick tone, he needed to leave before his curse activated and he killed this girl.

Zeref felt something brush against his leg causing him to freeze. He slowly turned around and saw dozens of animals standing in front of him. "What in the world?" He said in a confused tone.

"You can touch them without them without fear, they're illusions." The girl said.