Chapter 5

The early morning weather of the Dresnian Fall Pageant was sunny and pleasant, but then the sky typically shifted to a white gray that released a light drizzle over the entire city of Keridge. It wasn't unusual and wouldn't dampen anyone's spirit for the pageant.

I had woken when it was still dark, anxious about appearing in public with the Dresnian Royal Family for the first time since laying Cartwright to rest. I hoped nobody would single me out or yell anything obscene or weird to try to troll me. These days, lots of people were willing to do or say outrageous things for some viral internet fame at anyone's expense, but especially any sort of public figure.

I didn't have time to wring my hands in worry, fretting over potentially dreadful scenarios. Nephelle brought breakfast to me on a tray in my bedroom and it was nothing but hustle and bustle after that.

Sally showed up with my outfit in a black garment bag and my new makeup and hair stylist, a local from Keridge named Petra, was brought in and eager to work. I was up, showered and sitting in my makeup chair in my dressing room less than an hour after waking. My staff flurried around me, and even Layne was disgruntled and anxious, hurrying about to fetch something for Petra or speaking to Mary about the day's events.

I was to meet up with the Royal Family at the palace for a traditional morning church service at Yalford Chapel, right on palace grounds, that marked the beginning of the day's festivities. Thankfully, miraculously, nothing went wrong and I was on the way to Yalford Palace on schedule, being driven in an unmarked bullet-proof black Mercedes SUV by one of my new protection officers and Axel in the passenger seat. Layne sat beside me in the back, looking beautiful but distracted in a smart deep green pants suit with black boots and matching long beaded earrings.

The car ride took longer through the city due to detours from the pageant, but we made it to the gates at the end of King's Road, getting special access through the wooden barriers the city police were putting up for the parade route.

I had attended several Fall Pageants as a girl, and even the year prior as Cartwright's fiancé, though never as an official member of the Royal Family, but I was aware of the royal traditions that never changed. Every year, the country held celebrations in every city, town and village marking the Fall harvest and to honor the land of the ancient Dresnian Vikings for sustaining them, leading to the birth of our nation. Naturally, the capital city of Keridge held the biggest celebration, with a grand parade beginning from the palace gates all the way down King's Road, through the city, past Valden Square, Keridge University, the Keridge Museum and then the Keridge Opera Theater down to the quayside at the harbour. Tented stalls would be set up all along the cobbled paths at the waterfront, everything from fruits and vegetables, woodworking, homemade goods, and finely crafted items from artisans and apothecaries. The parade route would end there and everyone would crowd in the surrounding public gardens, buying and sharing local.

The car drove along the winding, uphill road that led to Yalford Palace at the top of the cliff. There were several standard black vehicles parked in the cobbled courtyard as well as motor bikes. Protection officers and royal guards were at several posts, some coming and going into the palace. It was a busy day.

A security officer appeared to open my door as the vehicle rolled to stop at the entrance, holding an open umbrella out to cover me from the light raindrops. I was careful not to slip on the wet cobbles or slide on the slick steps of stone as Layne and I entered the palace.

To the left was a spacious gallery room, its double doors opened wide. The babble of voices and the soft, haunting sound of harp and flute music floated into the corridor. Layne hovered behind me, unfamiliar with what to do.

A thrumming nervousness that made my body ignite with heat stole over me. This was it. This would be the first time the Dresnian peerage would see me since I laid my husband to rest. I wasn't looking forward to the conspicuous glances and the whispered comments. But I couldn't escape it, and I had been preparing for this moment for weeks. Straightening my shoulders, I took the few necessary steps to the doorway and entered the brightly lit gallery.