° Pizza Delivery Boy °

Rex had only been asleep for a few hours before being jostled awake by her mother for what seemed like the thousandth time. "Rex baby c'mon we gotta go!" Claire whispered, rousing the girl from her sleep to warn her of the approaching danger. It didn't take her long to pick up on the distant sound of growls and shuffling feet. The duo bolted to their feet, quietly gathering their belongings and dashing out the back door of the house they had taken refuge in.

This was just how life was now. Find somewhere safe, hunker down for a few hours and then move on before the dead catch up. Claire was growing exhausted, she had been getting much less sleep than her daughter, on account of staying awake to keep watch over the sleeping girl, and she longed for somewhere permanent, somewhere they could just breathe.

Their salvation came in the form of a scrawny pizza delivery boy. They had found a new house to hide in for the day, however after only settling down in the living room for a couple hours, the door handle twisted. Claire immediately shot up from her position on the windowsill and her daughter shot her a worried look. The woman placed a finger to her lips and unholstered her gun, clicking the safety off. She slowly crept towards the hallway and was met with a figure with his back to her. "Don't move asshole!" she hissed, pressing the cold barrel to the man's skull, who immediately shot his hands up in surrender. "Don't shoot! Please! I'm not a threat I swear!" the man's voice sounded young, and also terrified.

Claire hesitantly lowered her gun, not yet clicking the safety off however. Rex quietly made her way to her mother's side, wrapping an arm around her waist. The man slowly turned, a fearful expression in his eyes. "Hi" he suggested, offering a small wave, which neither of the pair returned. "Um, I'm Glenn" he continued, shifting awkwardly on his feet. The woman jutted her head and looked him up and down, scouring his body for any sign of a concealed weapon. Upon finding nothing, she finally holstered her gun and stuck out her hand. "Claire" she replied, and he shook her hand gratefully. "This is my daughter, Rebecca, but she prefers Rex" she gestured to the young girl standing next to her.

"Well it's uh, it's very nice to meet you both" he said, clearing his throat. "What do you want?" Rex demanded, shooting him a glare and wincing as her mother pinched her arm. "Ow!" she yelped, her mother gave her a stern look and she quickly bit her tongue. "Sorry I was just clearing houses looking for food, didn't know you guys were here" Glenn replied. A beat of silence passed before he cleared his throat once more and continued. "Hey, if you guys need somewhere to stay, there's a group of survivors at the quarry not far from here. It's not much but we've got uh, tents and food and safety in numbers right?" he chuckled. Claire considered his offer for a moment and glanced at her daughter."Give us a minute please" she said, leading Rex back into the living room. "Of course, of course, I'll wait outside" he replied, making his way out the front door and closing it gently behind him.

"Mom you're not seriously considering this!" Rex shouted as soon as Glenn was outside. "What I'm considering is the fact that we're cold and starving here and this guy is offering food and protection!" the woman responded, folding her arms. "We don't even know this guy!" she flopped down on the couch angrily. Claire sighed and crouched down beside her, placing a hand on her knee. "Rex honey, just give it a go OK? I wouldn't be considering this if I didn't trust him, and if it completely sucks, we'll leave. Alright?" she offered, holding out a pinky. Rex huffed and rolled her eyes. "Fine" she mumbled, interlacing her own pinky with her mothers and sealing the deal. "Great! C'mon let's go" Claire clapped her hands together and began gathering their stuff together.

----- 🦖-----

The sun was just beginning to dip into the horizon as the car containing Rex, Claire and Glenn pulled up to the camp. Rex immediately took notice of multiple people staring at them from around a nearby campfire, she sunk lower into the back seat and groaned. "C'mon peach" Claire tapped her daughter's knee before climbing out of the passenger seat and retrieving their bags from the trunk. Rex took a deep breath and stepped out of the car, following in her mother's wake.

The pair followed Glenn as he led them towards the small crowd that had now gathered at the arrival of the newcomers. "Hey everyone! I uh found some people out there so I uh brought them back here I guess" Glenn stuttered, suddenly nervous at the mass of eyes watching him. "Hi, I'm Claire, this is my daughter Rebecca" the woman introduced herself to the crowd. "Rex" the girl grumbled, folding her arms. Her mother made her way around the group, introducing herself to the adults and bending down to converse with the kids, while Rex hung behind, leaning one foot on the car with a sullen expression.

A young blonde woman made her way over to Rex and mimicked her stance, a slight chuckle escaping her lips. "Not a people person huh?" she joked, lightly nudging the girl's shoulder. "We're not all bad y'know, well apart from him" she gestured over to a man with dark brown hair and a cocky stance. "Shane's an ass" she whispered, causing a slight smirk to flicker on Rex's face, not going unoticed by the woman. "I'm Amy" she smiled, extending a hand to the girl. "Rex." she responded, returning the handshake for a moment before folding her arms once more. "Rex huh? You a fan of dinosaurs?" Amy asked. "Yeah they're cool" she replied, restraining herself from launching into a long monologue about her favourite dinosaurs and interesting facts. "Oh you gotta talk to Dale sometime!" the woman said cheerily, waving a hand in the direction of an old man sitting atop an RV, who gave them a warm smile and a slight wave. "He knows everything about everything, including dinosaurs" she explained. "Cool" Rex didn't know what else to say, and simply stared down at her shoes. Claire watched the two interact from a distance and smiled, maybe this place wouldn't be so bad after all.

----- 🦖-----

A/N - this is a short first chapter ik but it was mainly just to introduce the main characters and give you a little sneak peek of their personalities. I love Rex and Amy's relationship already and this fanfic has barely just started (it's gonna be so sad to kill my fave barbie off </3). Anyways I'm gonna start writing the next chapter immediately after publishing this so it shouldn't take too long to for an update! I hope yall enjoy