Chapter 8- Keefe

"Soooooooo," Dex dragged out slowly, running a hand through his hair, "You're saying that Sophie's somehow alive annnnd you somehow managed to mess up big time on the first night?"

Keefe nodded, glumly, bracing himself.

"Wow. . . ." Dex trailed away and gave Keefe a look that was mixed with sympathy and amusement.

"Well, I don't really have any experience with this so I don't know why you came to me about it. Or were you not looking for a solution?"

Keefe sighed and plopped down on Dex's bed.

"But, you dated Biana? Can't that help?"

"Yeah, for three months!" Dex argued back.

"Okay . .  but who else am I supposed to tell? You know me and Ritzy's relationship is broken beyond repair- so don't bring that up."

Fitz's name seemed to demand a moment of silence.

"Why do you need to tell anyone in the first place? You are pretty much the master of working alone." Dex suggested.

That hit an icy blow to Keefe, making him cringe.

He didn't particularly like that memory of when Foster was shouting at him back in Elwin's office after his sparring match with King Dimitar.

"That's the Keefe Show, and we've already seen how it ends."

He swallowed.

"What I'm saying," Dex pressed on, scooting closer to Keefe, "Is that you almost never open up about this . . . stuff. So something's changed."

Keefe opened his mouth than closed it.

Oh how humiliating it was that now tears started forming in his eyes!

He blinked them back and said softly, "Everything I do- I mess up. I just want to do something right. For once. For Foster." (Gotta go faster, faster, faster. For Foster, Foster Foster! No? Just me singing? Alr then. . .)

"Well, I know Sophie'll forgive you. She always does, you know. It doesn't matter how many mistakes you make- you're still Keefe Sencen, her best friend."

Keefe felt the corners of his lips twitch upward.

"You're starting to sound like Foster with all those inspirational pep-talks."

Dex smiled.

"Someone had to step up their game."

Keefe's grin faded as he looked down at his fingers.

"But you didn't hear her, Dex. She genuinely believed me! She thought all our time together was . . . a lie! Now when is she ever going to think that I love her!"

Keefe stopped.

Dex's grin widened. "Like I said, you're Keefe Freaking Sencen. You'll know what to do. And you won't mess up. So get out there Lover Boy, and make your move."

A/N: Yeah, short chapter. But anyways, thank you so so much for your support! I do have a good plot in mind . . . *evil grin* so get ready of a rollercoaster of chapters coming up!

Happy Shadow Thoughts!

-will0w-tree