Chapter 2: Confrontation

The next day was relatively uneventful. When evening rolled around, about 20 minutes before sunset was supposed to happen, I decided to set out again, bringing a chocolate bar with me since Chara seemed to enjoy chocolate.

When I approached the cave to the underground, I could hear voices, so I quickly hid behind some bushes.

"see, kid, I told you, completely undisturbed. she hasn't left. she has no reason to leave." That must be Sans. Then he's probably with Frisk. That's not good. Chara might see them and just go back underground. I've got to get them to leave.

"I dunno Sans, I just have a feeling. Maybe we should wait to see if you're right." I could hear Frisk say, which confirmed my fears.

I step out from behind the bushes and act like I hadn't just hidden and begin to walk up to them. "Hey guys, funny seeing you here. What are you guys doing here?" I ask, faking curiousity and ignorance.

"What are you doing here, (Y/n)? You're not trying to investigate your dreams, are you?" Frisk asks, immediately ignoring my question and looking a bit worried. She seemed almost scared.

"No, I was just taking a walk." I say, not exactly lying as that is what I was doing. "just a walk, huh kid? oddly specific location to walk by." Sans says, looking directly at me. His eye flashed blue and yellow for just a second, spooking me a little.

"you're lying." Sans states plainly. I forgot he could do that. I don't know much about it because it's his specificity kind of magic, but when his eye flashes, he can pretty much see your sins, including when you're lying.

"Sans, what do you mean?" Frisk asks, looking to our mutual boney friend. "he's already been down there. already met HER." He replies, his voice getting scarily deep at the last word. Frisk turns to me as I stand there, unsure what to say and panicking inside.

"You did, didn't you?" Frisk asks, her voice shaking slightly. "I... may have fallen into the underground last night. And I did meet someone down there, but you guys are acting like she's some sort of devil." I say, trying to defend myself in a way that may get me answers, such as to why they are afraid of Chara.

"She is a demon. You can't trust her. In fact, I should have had this entrance sealed when I left. It can cause nothing but problems. SHE can cause nothing but problems." Frisk says harshly. "look, kid, just go home, alright? go home and pretend you never had those dreams, or you're going to have a bad time." Sans threatens.

Normally, I'd have listened to Sans, but not today. "I can't. She's got no one down there. Do you realize how that would affect someone?" I argue. Sans' grin wanes into somewhat of a frown. "kid, if you won't, i'll make you." Sans says, raising up a Gaster Blaster behind him.

I was shocked. I never thought he would do something like this. Chara is really some sort of demonic being to them, isn't she? Frisk tried to speak up, but Sans raised a hand to shush her, so she turned to me. "Please, (Y/n), just go home." She pleads.

I shake my head and stand my ground despite the fear I felt from facing Sans and his Gaster Blaster. I've seen him demonstrate them before. He atomized a tree with one in a mere 10 seconds or so.

I stood no chance.

As I looked at him, I felt as if though I was in a standoff, and I could feel my sins crawling on my back, if that makes sense. It was an almost suffocating feeling.

"final warning, kid." Sans says, as the Gaster Blaster charges up. What was I doing? I had no experience with fighting. This was silly, but then again, I can't just leave Chara alone. It isn't right.

"I can't, Sans. She is all alone. I don't know what you guys went through down there to make you react like this, but she really isn't that bad." I try to make one last argument. I could see behind Sans that the sun was setting. If Chara comes up here, she's just going to go back into the underground and be alone for eternity.

"i'm sorry, kid, but I can't let her come back up here. not after everything that happened." And with that, the gaster Blaster fired.

Time seemed to slow as I could see and hear Frisk start to yell out to Sans to stop.

I'm confident he wouldn't kill me, but he would knock me out and then close off the Underground for good.

Well, this is the hill I chose to die on.

Time seemed to speed up again as I accepted this outcome, but the beam never hit me.

"What?" I look around, confused.

And then I saw her.

Chara.

She had stopped the beam with a whole wall of knives. The blades were perfectly interlocking to completely block the blast, but the sheer amount of power coming from the Blaster was slowly eating away at them.

"Hello again, Comedian." Chara says, her voice sounding a bit unsure. She seemed almost scared of Sans, despite having just blocked one of his arguably strongest attacks with ease.

"you!" Sans shouts, angered. He charges the Gaster Blaster again, but this time me, Frisk, and Chara yelled. "Wait!"

"Voilence won't fix this Sans." Frisk says, putting a hand on her friends shoulder. Sans let's out a sigh, and the Gaster Blaster fades. Chara dispels the knives, and falls to her knees.

"Are you alright?" I ask, coming to her side and kneeling. "I'll be fine. Used too much magic after taking that hit." She responds as I look to the other two. Frisk wouldn't look this way as she conversed with Sans quietly.

Sans walks up to us both. "you ever, and i mean ever, even think about hurting someone, and i will end you. there won't even be a spot in hell for you to burn in." He says, menacingly, before walking off. Frisk quickly follows, still avoiding looking at me and Chara.

"That, uh, could have gone better..." I say, once they are out of earshot. Then I hear a small sniffle come from Chara. I looked to her, and she was sitting on the ground now, hugging her knees as a few stray tears rolled down her cheeks. "They hate me. I can't ever redeem myself." She mumbles quietly.

I quietly sit next to her. "Hate requires a lot of work. Sans is lazy, I doubt he'll hate you forever." I say jokingly, trying to lighten the mood. I hear a light chuckle come from Chara, which causes me to smile. "Thanks for trying, but you don't know the things I've done. The person I am." She says, wiping the tears away.

"I don't know what you did, but I know the kind of person you are. You saved me, twice now. You shouldn't best yourself up so much. The past is the past, but the future is yet to be written." I say, giving a soft smile. She looks to me and smiles a bit as well.

I bring out the chocolate bar and hand it to her. "You owe me an answer, by the way." I say, as she takes the candy. We both stand, and she looks out to the sunset before turning to me. "I'll stay up here, if you'll have me." She says, looking a bit worried.

"Of course, my offer still stands. The guest bedroom is yours." I say, as my smile grows wider. "Thanks. You have no idea how much this means to me." Chara responds, relieved as she eats the chocolate bar. "Maybe one day you'll tell me?" I question, looking at her. She averts her gaze. "Maybe." She says, a bit shakily.

Whatever happened during Frisk's stay in the underground clearly scarred Sans, Chara, and Frisk. I don't want to push anyone for answers, but it's certainly got me curious.

We both walk down the trail towards my home, as Chara makes herself invisible again, after having made herself visible to help me with Sans.

Just when I thought life was getting back to normal, it gets even more interesting...