01 The Big Apple

"Angel, hear me out. You deserve someone who understands how rare you are. And you deserve someone who stays, not someone who came back after he betrayed you and left you for someone else," Jackson squeezed your hand which was in his.

You remember those exact words when you first opened up to him about your past. At that time, Jackson seemed sad, worried and concerned to learn about your engagement which ended in Yugyeom's cheating scandal three years ago.

And just when you finally accepted Jackson's invitation to go on a date exclusively, Yugyeom arrived at dawn in front of your flat. He came a long way and found out your address in New York just to wail, cry and beg on his knees so you would take him back.

His wife, whose name you don't want to remember, has filed a divorce and left him and their little son for a more handsome, famous, rich and powerful man. Holy cow. Holy wow. Like, holy moly cow wow. Let's give her a standing ovation as she can take a bow (sighed, you don't wanna judge though).

Life feels very slow, tedious, boring and painful when you are heartbroken back then. The future feels uncertain; it looks scary with all its uncertainties, not to mention the emotional wounds that need to be healed.

And that's when Jackson came into your life. He came into your life out of nowhere with his rugged, handsome, masculine and mindblowing energy that you couldn't even resist. With his magnetic and enchanting aura, you think nobody would resist Mr. Wang since his charisma is off the charts. He is the most chivalrous man yet the most handsome beast that you have ever met in life.

You were devastated at your lowest low, that's when you met him. Jackson is a gentle yet fierce man. He is humble yet proud. He is wild yet mild. He is full of all the contradictions that addicting and mesmerizing you.

Jackson comes into your life like an Iron Man straight from a Hollywood movie, only to save you and fix your broken heart. He comes like a modern day prince charming that you used to watch in one of your favorite Disney cartoons.

There are no red, yellow or orange flags. No need to worry about that since Jackson comes with green flags only. He came like a blowing cool breeze of spring or summer, he brings you new high hopes into your not-so-good life to love you 3000 and even more.

"Someday, all the love you've given to the wrong people will find its way back to you in someone who's waited their whole life for your kind of love. And you know what? That someday is now. And that someone is me," Jackson said those sweet and soothing words genuinely, in that husky, raspy yet velvety voice. You feel sincerity and purity in his tone. And you just feel safe and protected being next to him.

And who would have thought that at the end of the day you would end up here, like this. Ever since you broke up with Yugyeom, you would never think about your dream man/ ideal romantic partner/ perfect husband any more. You were never very fond of the idea that, someday, you would be able to finally let the right one in; and share your life with him.

You never thought that Jackson could make you believe in love again, or trust any men again. And most of all, you would never think that you will be able to share your bank account, house, food or bed with Jackson. Because at first, it didn't seem like it's a very good idea or even a smart move to take.

Love, or something that you thought was love, was a very flawed system. Alas, life and this whole world are very flawed systems. Love, life and this world have killed you a few times before. It forces you to die and be reborn again. Dang, you lose count for how many times that has happened.

One day, everything in your life is going perfectly well. But then in the next moment, all of sudden, everything is crashing down on top of you in an instant.

Your world has crumbled so many times before. And you painstakingly have to rebuild it many times. You learn a lot from previous misfortunes and mistakes, though.

After those painful tower moments, after those painful dark nights of the soul that kill your every layer ego and hope, your inner child awakens. You have experienced spiritual awakening several times. And as they say, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

So this is where you are now. You are living a new phase in your life.

You opened a new page in the book of your life with Jackson, after a painful resurrection, after you were burned and reborn from your own ashes; like a little phoenix.

Long story short, that's why you didn't think moving in with someone would ever be an option. But then again, to your surprise, it happened. Smoothly. Easily. Effortlessly. Almost automatically and ridiculously; miraculously.

You just minding your own business before. But out of nowhere, Mr. Jackson Wang with his magnificent smile came crashing in.

They say, "You'll know when you know," right? Right.

You two have met by chance thanks to work matters. And, well, instinctively and intuitively, you just knew at that moment, right from the start, your life was going to be different.

There were still a couple of boxes that needed to be unpacked. It all scattered around the living room and dining room. You guess, it all can wait till tomorrow. Besides, Jackson will help you with all the stuff. You don't have to worry about that.

Headaches are sometimes a problem for you. Luckily, it's not too major to talk to the doctor about. You got up out of bed to the kitchen and left your attractive lover; naked. He's sleeping tight, tangled in the sheets behind you.

Then you take a sip of water and grab your medicine. You swallowed some pills in the hope it could ease your dizziness.

You had some trouble falling asleep after that. You're writhing around in your shared bed sheets. Honestly, your mind is cluttered with stuff, like how you were in love with such an odd, wonderful, amazing, supportive and emotionally available man like Jackson.

And how in the world he convinced you to move in with him? Gosh. It's unbelievable. It's like, finally, luck is on your side.

You're making your way out of your bedroom once again. You moved slowly and carefully since you didn't want to make a sound that would wake Jackson up. Then you grab your house keys, only to slip on your easiest choice of shoes you could find near the door.

As you walk up the stairs of the building, onto the roof, you're actually not sure if you're allowed to be up here. It's already late at night. Perhaps it's midnight already. You have no clue.

You're being new to the building and all. Yet you decide it's for the better, since you're hoping that it will get your mind off of things.

The cold air caressed your face when you arrived at the rooftop. You breathe in the chill air but somehow it feels refreshing to your nostrils. It cools the breathing recesses in your chest.

You took a deep breath while closing your eyes. Like meditation, it makes you feel more comfortable, safe and at ease in just seconds.

The city view is so pretty and fantastic up here. The sky is lit up well. A sort of violet, purple and burgundy color at the edges is mixed into the darker blacks and blues.

You saw the skyscrapers towering above. And if you get high up enough, the lights of this hustle bustle big city go on for what seems like miles. Near the building you are atop, you can see the other shorter buildings within reach. It's all neighboring and not far away.

It's not as quiet as you'd like it to be, though. The streets have people. Cars roaming around and doing whatever it is you're not knowing. You sighed as you took a look and enjoyed the atmosphere, absorbing all the ambience and immersing yourself in the present moment.

Well, New York is best known as "the best and biggest of places to be." Throughout its history, the term "big apple" has always come down to simply mean that; the best and biggest of places to be.

They said, New York City has long lived up to its nickname. And once you visit this seven-mile-long city, you'll truly understand why it's called the Capital of the World and the Big Apple.

The "Big Apple" as a nickname for New York City really takes hold in the 1920s jazz era. The term is already popular in meaning as "betting on a sure thing" and made its way to racetracks in the early 1920s.