TWO

It  was  in  the  heart  of  the  night  when  the  girl  woke  up,  her  eyes  blinking  back  and  forth  at  the  unfamiliarity  around  her.

    "Where  am  I?"  She  asked,  eyes  pointed  at  the  girl–who  couldn't  have  been  more  than  a  few  years  older  than  her–seated  before  a  table.  There  was  a  slight  frown between  her  brows  as  she  scribbled  words  down  on  a  scroll  under  the  light  of  one  of  the  brightly  burning  candles  in  the  room.

    She  looked  divine:  blonde  hair  scattered  over  a  petite  and  lovely  face.  Rosy  cheeks  that  glowed under  the  lights  befitting  of  her  pink, heart–shaped  lips.  And  when  she  looked  up  at  the  girl  who'd  just  awakened,  her  eyes  shone  with  a  dazzling  blue  so  intense  that  it  rendered  one  both  speechless  and  captivated.

    "I  see  you've  finally  come  through,"  she  said.
The  girl  shook  herself  out  of  the  trance,  "where  am  I?"  She  repeated,  sitting  up  on  the  bed.

The  room,  she  now  noticed,  was  filled  with  the  heavy  scent  of  perfume.  Lilac  to  be  specific.  Bright  sheets  over  yellow  painted  walls  covered  in  designs  of  wild  flowers  at  each  end.  There  was  a  cage  bearing  a  pair  of  love  birds  by  the  window.

Moonlight  spilled  in.

     "Am  not  certain  I  should  be  the  one  to  tell  you  that,"  she  answered,  rising  from  her  chair,  "but  I  think  you  should  start  with  a  thank  you  first.  You  know  you  could  have  been  dead  if  I'd  left  you  were  you'd  blanked  out."

Her  words  brought  a  storm  of  memories  to  the  girl  who  suddenly  great  sharp  eyed.  She  tumbled  from  the  bed.  "My  father...  I  need  to  get  him."  She  stuttered.

    "Do  you  believe  they  would  have  left  him  like  that?"  The  blonde  haired  asked,  hope  rekindled  in  the  girls  eyes,  hope  which  she  was  quick  in  dousing  out. 

"They  should  have  fed  him  to  the  magistrate  wolves  by  now,"  she  continued,  "those  creatures  are  experts in  tearing  up  a  human's  flesh  from  his  bones.  It's  what  they  do  to  every   criminal  they  despise...  not  that  a  noble  daughter –a  former  noble  daughter  like  you  would  be  aware  of  such  an  atrocity  happening  in  her  fantasy  world."

    The  girl  doubled  down,  heaving,  like  she  was  on  the  edge  of  a  panic  attack.  She  was  alive,  she  told  herself,  she  was  alive:  and  her  precious  father  had  been  killed.  In  the  worst  way  possible.

    "The  proper  question,  I  believe,  should  be,  'what  is  your  name?'"  the  blonde  asked,  "or  should  I  keep  referring  to  you  as  miss Rutherford?  Should  I  call  you  that  in  public  where  you  may  get  a  backlash  for  the  sake  of  your  father's  name?"

Her  words,  the  girl  concluded,  were  as  bitter  as  she  was  beautiful. "Mira,"  she  mouthed,  "did  you  know  my  father?"

    "Who  didn't?"  The  blonde  chuckled  while  walking  over  to  the  door,  "he  wasn't  a  very  private  person,  most  especially  around  here."  The  moment  she  swung  the  door  open,  the  sound  of  a  dozen  cackling  laughter's  of  men  and  women  sauntered  into  the  room.  A  man  peeked  his  head  by  the  door.