Chapter 2

My family was rich as long as I knew, but I wanted to do something different-something I would love to do, not something I'm supposed to do. I remember every Sunday, my dad would take me to a bakery and let me eat whatever I wanted; that was the only day I would spend time with both of my parents. I never wanted Monday to arrive. After high school, I took up confectionary and decided to someday open my own bakery.

Sitting at the desk in the study, I couldn't help but think back to the day I came to know my life was about to change forever.

That day, I hoped I never came back home from the bakery.

Flashback:

Mom: Hey, sweetheart. How was your day today?

"Pretty good, mom. What's for dinner?" I said, putting away my shoes.

Mom: Italian. Martha is almost done with the preparations.

"Cool, I am starving. Let me go freshen up. What's wrong, mom??"I said as I noticed my mom staring off in the distance.

Mom: Sweetheart, your father and I have to talk with you regarding your marriage.

"Marriage? Mom I am not ready to get married yet. I'm just 23!" I exclaimed.

Mom: I know, honey. Just go and freshen up; we'll talk then. You are hungry, right? Let's get some food in that tummy.

"But Mom~"

How can I eat now? I have no appetite anymore. I can't get married. There's so much I have to do before I can even think about dating, let alone marriage.

"Pa, what's mom talking about?" I asked, sitting down at the dining table.

Dad: What are you talking about, Megan?

Mom: Carters.

"Who're Carters? I'm talking about Mom telling me that you are thinking about my marriage."

Martha: Sugar, why don't you sit down and start eating like a good girl? Martha said, petting my head.

"I'm not hungry."

Dad: Listen to your nanny.

"Martha's not my nanny anymore, but okay, I'll eat. It smells delicious, Martha." I love Martha's cooking. I am convinced she has magical abilities. How else can anyone make such delicious food?

Mom: Sweetheart, join your dad and me in the living area after eating. We'll talk there. Mom said she was serving while serving herself another plate.

I quickly finished my plate of food, helped Martha put dishes in the sink, and rushed to the living area.

Dad: Before starting, I want you to know that we love you and that we'll accept your decision without any questions.

"You're scaring me a little." I sat down beside my mom and placed a cup on my lap.

Mom: There's no need to be scared; we'll always be with you.

My parents were behaving really weird, and I couldn't stop myself from imagining the worst.

Dad: You might not know, but the business is not doing well, and we might go bankrupt in a few months.

"What? You should've told me I'm not a kid anymore." I said, more like shouted, How much longer can my parents shelter me from real-life problems? It makes me irritated at times, but I know they have my best interests at heart, so I don't complain.

Mom: We know, sweetheart, but you were just so happy about your bakery, and we didn't want to burden you.

"It's been a year?" I asked to confirm.

Mom: A year and a half.

"So, what now? We are selling the house. Wait a sec, you are asking me to get married when we are facing problems? I am not going to leave you like this."

Dad: Yeah, about that. Do you remember Uncle Carter? We used to meet his family when you were little, and then you saw him again at 15.

"Not quite, but yes." My childhood memories are quite foggy. So I don't remember most of the interactions with Uncle Carter.

Mom: As you know, Uncle Carter is your dad's college friend. He has offered his help with your dad's business.

I did remember that Uncle Carter; he got me imported chocolates for my 10th birthday. Those were some tasty chocolates. He is helping my family after all these years of not being in contact with us. My dad has loyal friends, I guess.

Mom: Carter's kid, Adrian; you might remember him. Carter has proposed that you and Adrian be married.

"What? Why? Don't tell me you've made some kind of promise to each other." I stood up, which caused the cusion to bounce off my lap onto the floor.

Dad: No, he wants Adrian to settle down, but he is just too much into his work. Carter has heard about you from me and mom as we kept in touch with each other and kept each other updated about our families. Carter thinks that you will be a perfect life partner for his son.

"But Pa, that's not fair now, is it? He has put you in a difficult position; you can't deny it because he is helping us, and you couldn't possibly go against my wishes as well. At the end of the day, it all comes down to me. I'm sure there is no other way to save your business, because if there was, you wouldn't be asking me." I said this after I lifted the cushion and sat back down as my mom held my hand in hers.

Dad: My little lily is always insightful. Again, if you don't want to get married, just tell us, and we'll look for some other way.

Mom: Sweetheart, you would get married someday. Why not now? You can continue with your confectionary business after marriage as well. I don't want to push you, but we are in a lot more trouble than your dad is letting on.

"When does Uncle Carter want us to get married?" I asked.

Dad: If it's a yes from both of you, within a month.

"Well then, Pa. Mom. I love you. Prepare to send off your daughter." I said while plastering a smile on my face.

I didn't tell them that I was in a relationship with Michael, and we broke up the very next day because I didn't want to let him on any longer.

My thoughts trail off as there is a knock at the door.

Adrian: Amy, have you had dinner yet?

"No, I'll be down in a minute." I answered from behind the door, as I didn't want to open it.

Adrian is just four years older than me, but his attitude is like that of a strict teacher. That's partly why I call him sir instead of his name; the other reason is my hatred for him. I don't want to miss any opportunity to make him uncomfortable. We acted like a loving couple in front of our families and other people, but behind closed doors, we were just strangers.