43.No more secrets

The days at the fire station passed slowly. The whole of Pontypandy welcomed the news of the return of the members of the former fire team with great enthusiasm. There was even a small party organized, but when Sam didn't come, the residents realized it wasn't fair and limited their display of joy. However, they did not stop greeting each of the team members with great enthusiasm, even if they only passed them on the street.

"It's weird being back," Penny sighed as she sat down at the table with Ellie and Elvis. "Everything is the same and different."

"You talk like Arnold," Ellie teased.

"But Penny is right. I had a short break from Pontypandy, but I can still see that our successors have settled in here more than it seemed possible at first glance," Elvis added.

"You'll never guess what" Arnold ran into the common room excitedly.

"Newtown Fire Academy has new textbooks in stock," Ellie teased him.

"No," Arnold replied, offended. "Tony sent me this photo of Julia and Chris," he pulled out his phone and showed it to Ellie first. She dropped it as her jaw dropped. "I told you so," Arnold smiled triumphantly.

"You won that bet," Ellie muttered under her breath in dissatisfaction. "I'll bring you that book tomorrow," she moaned, passing Arnold's phone away.

"Since when do you bet on things like this, Arnold?" Penny asked him in surprise as she took the phone from Ellie.

"He also made a bet about you and Sam, but he didn't have the nerve to confess," Ellie interjected, pointing at Arnold. "He wasn't as innocent as he looked."

Penny commented it with a laugh while Arnold just blushed and fell into a chair waiting for Elvis to give him his phone.

"They look cute together," Elvis admitted, and the others agreed with him with quiet murmurs of agreement. "I guess the tunnel fixed and connected everything," he said confidently.

"It was just pure coincidence that we all ended up in the same place at the same time," Penny countered hesitantly.

"More like a twist of fate, I guess," Ellie interjected teasingly, leaning back in her chair to look up at the ceiling for a moment. "By the way, you didn't say you worked in the rapid response unit. Is there anything else you haven't told us that we should know?" Ellie interjected, raising an eyebrow skeptically.

"You already know Andy and the fact that he still works as an inspector and instructor at the Academy, you also already know," Penny counted on her fingers. "Nothing more," she shrugged, looking at Ellie confidently.

"What about Sam?" Ellie placed her hand on the table to rest her chin on it.

"Nothing," Penny replied evasively.

"You're not trying to tell me that after two years of being alone and what you've been through, you still push him away, do you?" Ellie looked at Penny in surprise. "I really don't know how to help you. Even loneliness hasn't reversed your blindness."

"First of all, it's none of your business, Ellie," Penny admonished, then added with a sigh. "I've taken Ben's death very hard and I just... I'm not sure I'm ready for a repeat entertainment experience in the future."

"But you're still young," Ellie rolled her eyes in irritation. "Besides, Sam loves you. And if you can't see it, you're even dumber than before."

"Ellie, it's not about my fear, it's about the fact that a shared relationship requires trust," Penny explained patiently. "And I've been running away from it for years."

"Just like in my case," Ellie picked up on. "Listen, you know I'm not pushing you anymore," she tried to convince, but first she had to give a warning glance to silence Elvis and Arnold, who were struggling to keep from laughing. "But you have to admit, it was business as usual in the tunnel and how much you were worried about him clearly showed it."

New teamजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें