Chapter XI

Ayako squeezed out the excess water from the damp towel by twisting it to its tethers

Ayako squeezed out the excess water from the damp towel by twisting it to its tethers. The leaking water dropped to the clear basin, staining the fresh tap water red with hints of blood. He ran one of his free hands through his hair, the slight wetness of his touch taking his hair strands to the slicked back and collected shape they were now. No longer loose curls, but straightened grazes adorning his head, some slightly unfurling and resting along his forehead as stray streaks. Cold sweat slid down his skin and made his palms clammy, like a storm of anxiety that drowned him. Ayako returned to his earlier job at which he got back to his seat, near Amé's unconscious figure, sitting on his chair with the bucket of water by his side on the floor.

His current white shirt was stained with water, blood, and some orange from the betadine that had leaked on his jeans as well, and the fabric of the shirt stuck uncomfortably to his bare skin from the sweat caused by fatigue.

He was so tired. Heal after healing, he'd replaced the bandages too soon from their time of wrapping, unable to look at the pooling and staining blood anymore. Amé was so pale, to the point where he could have sworn that when he'd checked her eyeballs beneath her eyelids for any eye reactions to declare her alive, her irises had lost some of the red in them. He did his best to change her clothes, bringing her something comfortable and easy to remove and put on. He didn't know how many times he'd have to change the white gauze and redo the process: cleaning the wound, using his seal, rebandaging the wound, and doing it all over again just a few minutes later.

He was so tired. It scared him, seeing Amé in the state she was currently in. He moved his warm hand across her skin and truly, fully felt the change of temperature between their bodies. As cold as ice, her hands and arms were. He'd caress his fingers across her cheeks, hoping that their warmth would somehow return with a miracle, that this all was a bad nightmare. His eyes welled with sadness at his dear friend's state. It was true that Ayako didn't get to stay around them while he traveled the world as a designer and fashion model, but he truly didn't have a choice.

If only he could have told Amé that before he left on your orders.

No matter that now, he told himself. He'd have to take care of Amé vigorously to bring her back to her earlier health if that was ever possible. If he could give up a part of himself to save her, to save Sebastian and Amé both, he would have. The dear friends that once stood by his side, stronger than he could ever comprehend, were brought to their near deaths by a human, a jujutsu sorcerer who was born with a lucky roll of fate. The roll that lucked out for them on that same day.

Ayako snapped the towel to the side, clearing off any excess drops of water. He had to have the cloth completely dry to pick up the rest of the blood he had to clean off of Amé. You'd gone and come back, but he still wasn't done.

"Styles, get over here! Big lady made dinner!"

His head snapped towards the slightly ajar door after Toji had called out to him from the kitchen. With a sigh, he placed down the towel on the bedside drawer. Ayako placed his hands on his knees as he supported himself to stand after sitting for so long. Walking towards the door and exiting the room, he decided to leave the door fully open, just in case Amé woke up or turned. He wanted to hear every sound made. As he walked the hallway, Ayako's eyes made their way to the room where Sebastian was lying down. The door ajar and the scene lay out to his sight. In his head, he could only think about the way it was now Sebastian's turn in his healing round.